Is my skimmer clogged?

Jun 13, 2015
Southborough, MA
Just opened my pool today and was able able to get everything running. Although, my filter won’t fully prime, there’s no psi registering, and no water running through the glass bulb on my Hayward S244t2. The suction on one of the skimmers seems ok at 2 (4 speed). However, the other skimmer seems very slight. One of the holes is filled with debris and the other is clear. Not sure both are functional?

0GnJJR4.jpg

abPp19l.jpg

When I connect the vacuum hose and turn the pump speed up to 4, there’s no suction from the skimmer and the water isn’t getting to the pump quickly enough. I removed all plugs and replaced baskets and jets.

First question is, I assume both holes in the skimmer aren’t functional? It didn’t think it was a combo drain.

This is the second year with the pool and it always worked fine last year.

Thoughts?

Paul, you still having problems up there? Let's start with the most obvious things first in hopes it's a quick fix:
- Water level high enough up the skimmer opening?
- All 3-way valves open?
- Skimmer weir door(s) moving freely?
- So do you have two skimmers?
- Do you have a main drain?
- Can you tell us how the skimmer(s) and drain (if installed) and plumbed to the equipment pad? Do they shave a line with a 3-way valve, or maybe post a pic.?
- If you have 2 skimmers, the skimmer closest to the equipment pad may have 2 holes. Usually one hole goes to the pad, the hole facing the pool goes to another skimmer or drain. Not always, but often. Depends on plumbing.
- If you have a 2nd skimmer at the other (far) end of the pool, it typically only has one operational hole. A 2nd hole may just be plugged.
- If you are concerned about a potential clog, grab a garden hose, put it into the pump inlet (under the clear lid) and push water backwards to the pool skimmer. You can wrap a rag around the garden hose to help seal the hose in that hole.
- If all of that checks out okay, make sure the clear lid O-ring is lubed. Look for any signs of air leaks.

Let's start there.

Thanks TS... see below. I was able to get the vacuum going. Pump still isn’t fully priming. Also appears that my gauge is not working ( needles also on opposite side of pin?).

“- Water level high enough up the skimmer opening? Yes
- All 3-way valves open? Yes
- Skimmer weir door(s) moving freely? Yes
- So do you have two skimmers? Yes
- Do you have a main drain? No
- Can you tell us how the skimmer(s) and drain (if installed) and plumbed to the equipment pad? Do they shave a line with a 3-way valve, or maybe post a pic.? See pic
- If you have 2 skimmers, the skimmer closest to the equipment pad may have 2 holes. Usually one hole goes to the pad, the hole facing the pool goes to another skimmer or drain. Not always, but often. Depends on plumbing.
- If you have a 2nd skimmer at the other (far) end of the pool, it typically only has one operational hole. A 2nd hole may just be plugged.
- If you are concerned about a potential clog, grab a garden hose, put it into the pump inlet (under the clear lid) and push water backwards to the pool skimmer. You can wrap a rag around the garden hose to help seal the hose in that hole.
- If all of that checks out okay, make sure the clear lid O-ring is lubed. Look for any signs of air leaks. Which O-Ring is this?

H8m5Dub.jpg

45jQR8m.jpg

Okay, so it looks like each skimmer has its own dedicated PVC line back to the pad. First thing I would do is turn the 3-way valve one way to close one skimmer and evaluate suction at the right or left skimmer. Then do the same on the other skimmer and see if there's a difference when pulling water form one at a time. The O-ring I was speaking of is the one under the pump basket clear lid. Make sure it's there and lubed. Remember, your filter sight glass won't have water going through it unless you are backwashing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.