Is my pool suction line clogged?

Apr 9, 2016
Houston
It all started when I noticed that my spa kept filling up with junk and the skimmer was close to empty. I assume for a pool level spa, it's best to have the water flowing out of the spa to prevent stuff from getting stuck in there. The only way I have been able to get the water flowing out of the spa is to completely shut off the pool suction line.

Even when I have the valves set to draw 75% from pool and 25% from spa, I barely notice any movement in the skimmer. If I set it to 100% pool, then I see a small amount of movement in the skimmer and the pressure at my filter drops really low.

I'm fairly certain this means there is a clog in the pool skimmer suction line. What do you all think?

One more piece to the puzzle. The last time I cleaned out the pump filter basket, I found a pine cone in there! I think this is because I bought one of those skimmer baskets with the drop out bottom and my son may have hit the trigger dropping the skimmer basket contents into the skimmer. So there's no telling what went down that pipe. :(

I concur with your diagnosis. Recently someone had a clog that ended up being a mass of acorns.

Set the valve to full skimmer and use a drain king from the pump inlet and see if anything blows out into the skimmer. If you're handy, open the three-way valve and run the drain king from there to the skimmer. A few years ago someone opened up the 3-way and discovered a matchbox car caught in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.