Is Leisure Pool a sketchy company?

Laura7788

Jun 4, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have been researching fiberglass pools and have so far gotten price lists for a basic install from San Juan Pools and Barrier Reef Pools. I’m in the Jacksonville Fl area, and there are not many fiberglass pool dealers in this area. Leisure Pools just contacted me and asked me a bunch of questions and sent my info to their “pool designer.” I emailed him asking for their price list and information on who would install the pool. This was his response:

We don't have a prebuilt price sheet. I can tell you that a complete pool package will begin around 35k and go up from there. I would want to talk to you about what it is you are looking for in a pool and I get you a better idea from there. Also, we install our pools.

The lack of transparency about prices concerns me, along with the lack of info about who exactly would be installing the pool. I looked the “pool designer” up in the Florida license website and he is “eligible for exam” , which I translate as unlicensed and inexperienced. And he can’t be installing the pool without a license.

Am I being too paranoid and distrustful or are my instincts correct and I should just move on.

Check the companies out with the local BBB. Look at Yelp reviews. Google Reviews. Use the search box here. (It's hidden inside the blue band across the top)

And above all, follow the Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules. If they won' be open with you, walk away.

I think hes normal for a pool designer. Yiu can install the same pool in 2 different yards and have it cost more in one. There are so many variations to each build. How much decking, equipment, etc. I would meet with every PB you can and let them sell to you. You hold the money. I would never be able to give someone more than a base price without seeing the job. A price list only applies to someone looking to buy a shell and DIY or have their own guys do install.

Reactions: Arizonarob
I did get price lists, without having to specifically ask for them, from the dealers for barrier reef and San Juan . They both also gave me a list of what exactly is included in a “basic install”. There were extra costs with barrier reef, he charged for temporary fence removal and freight, with San Juan, the price was the price I was originally quoted. Extras were upgraded pump, SWG, heat pump.

Leisure pools won’t provide any information about what is included in the install and what is extra, what the base price is, or who exactly will be installing the pool. If I had more options in this area I would just forget about dealing with Leisure Pools; but since options are limited I didn’t want to dismiss them out of hand. I did search here for Leisure Pools, but there wasn’t much. I was wondering if anyone here had used them for their pool and what their experience was. Yelp reviews are bad, but they could be just location specific. A lot will depend on the capabilities of the installer, and they will not say who their installer is.

I probably have answered my own question. If they are reluctant to give basic info there is a reason, and that reason is not doubt that their info would reveal pricing that is not competitive and an inexperienced installer.

Talk to as many people as you can in person. If somebody seems fishy, there is probably good reason. The first local builder we met started the conversation by listing his 25 years of owning his store and the time he spent before managing a store locally in a different industry. Then he opened up the phone book and showed us his home listing that would always be available if the store was closed for a weekend. This guy also said he would only build a top of the line pool with top of the line equiptment and neither was negotiable. Builder # 2 told me upfront that he was cutting every corner he could to make the price so low that i HAD to use him. I left that meeting before getting his price. If he was cutting corners that i knew about, how many shortcuts was he taking that i wouldnt know for years to come ? We met 2 other good builders and settled back happily with the first guy. Was Dang near sure we would have used him at the first meeting but had to shop around to ensure no regrets.

Also worth noting, 2 of the 4 companies we interviews handled all of the startup for the treatment of the new pool. The other 2 simply dropped off pallets of chemicals and told you to figure it out by yourself. There seemed to be about $1000 worked into the quotes for this. Before finding this site i was not comfortable trying to learn on the fly. It was worth every penny to us at the time.

If they won't provide this info with a written estimate for a specific project then I would not use such a company (every estimate should be itemized for any type of job). But I'm not at all surprised they would want the opportunity to give a complete & accurate proposal to each customer. It won't hurt to wait for an estimate (this is a months long process). Companies that can say they know all costs before even getting details tells me they overcharge b/c they are accounting for variables in advance or are just looking for volume based on price (the Macys approach). Take Newdude's approach, you'll know from your gut feeling after meeting with people. Good luck :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.