Is it Time for a New Cleaner??

bpdunlv

Apr 4, 2017
Las Vegas
I have had a Pentiar Rebel vacuum (Automatic type that connects to the sidewall of the pool) for about 5 years and have been very happy with the job it does. I could go a month without sweeping the pool and you would never know because it picked up everything. I recently bought new tires for it as it was getting stuck on the drain, and ever since that it only cleans about 1/3 of the pool (The middle deep end). If I move it myself it will still climb the wall no problem, but it always goes back to the middle after a few minutes. It seems to be making mostly left turns all the time. When I rotate the wheels by hand they seem to move fine, but on its own it is mostly left turns.

Should I get better tires, or do I need a whole new cleaner?

I have had a Pentiar Rebel vacuum (Automatic type that connects to the sidewall of the pool) for about 5 years and have been very happy with the job it does. I could go a month without sweeping the pool and you would never know because it picked up everything. I recently bought new tires for it as it was getting stuck on the drain, and ever since that it only cleans about 1/3 of the pool (The middle deep end). If I move it myself it will still climb the wall no problem, but it always goes back to the middle after a few minutes. It seems to be making mostly left turns all the time. When I rotate the wheels by hand they seem to move fine, but on its own it is mostly left turns.

Should I get better tires, or do I need a whole new cleaner?

I’m not as familiar with the internals of the Rebel but @Dirk has one. I have a Kreepy Krawly sand shark. It could be that the internal cam and gears need to be rebuild. I’d search online and YouTube for Rebel rebuild kits and see what you get. It’s probably time for a full service of the guts.

If you don’t have one already, I do suggest using an inline leaf canister with suction cleaners. It definitely helps keep all the “big stuff” out of your pump basket and avoids a dreaded suction line clog which I had happen once and it was not fun to fix. Depending on the style you get, you can use hairnets to line them and that will capture all the sand and fine debris as well as the big stuff.

I’m not as familiar with the internals of the Rebel but @Dirk has one. I have a Kreepy Krawly sand shark. It could be that the internal cam and gears need to be rebuild. I’d search online and YouTube for Rebel rebuild kits and see what you get. It’s probably time for a full service of the guts.

If you don’t have one already, I do suggest using an inline leaf canister with suction cleaners. It definitely helps keep all the “big stuff” out of your pump basket and avoids a dreaded suction line clog which I had happen once and it was not fun to fix. Depending on the style you get, you can use hairnets to line them and that will capture all the sand and fine debris as well as the big stuff.
I've never had a problem with mine, so have yet to gain any experience taking one apart, trying to fix it or trying to rebuild it. I saw once, not too long ago, that you can buy just the vacuum head for a few hundred dollars (not the hose, etc), and that the rebuild kit was about half that. So research some prices before you order the rebuild kit. It might not be worth the trouble. Rebuilding an old one will net you a rebuilt vac. Replacing the vac head will get you back to new. You can save your new tires for when the new one's tires wear out.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
YMMV depending on your exact model:

Here's one for $227 (they went up a bit, like everything else):

The same retailer sells the rebuild kit for $97:

That's a difference of $130. What's your time worth to ya? And that's assuming a rebuild kit would actually solve the problem. It is doesn't, you'll be spending the $97 AND the $227.

I had the short little hose that attaches the main hose to the vac head wear out. It tore. That would affect the vac's performance. Inspect yours carefully.

I had the swivel action get gummed up on me. I just worked that loose. That, too, could affect performance.

And then there is the main hose. Inspect it for any tears/leaks.

$227 for 5 years or $45/year, that’s not a bad deal for a cleaner. Better than any of the robots (those are more like $200/year) in terms of lifetime cost.

I would agree with @Dirk and suggest you open it up and inspect the internal components thoroughly. If the insides look really beat up and worn out, then it may just be more cost effective to buy new. If a single gear or shaft looks worn, but the rest isn’t bad, then a rebuild kit is a cheap fix.

Reactions: Dirk and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.