Is it safe to jackhammer around pool?

Aug 23, 2009
Spring Valley, NY
I have concrete around the pool area that needs to be replaced I spoke to a masonry guy to put down stone and he said he would use a jack hammer to remove the existing concrete. I have an old pool is that dangerous or are the pipes to deep to be a concern. Also if it is a concern is the concern only on the side of the pool of the filter and pump. Or is there concern every where around the pool

If you speak of the pool deck I see no problem as it's not connected to the actual pool. The pipes should be way down in the ground around the depth of the returns if not lower. Just as side note now would be a good time to assess your plumbing and change anything that may be leaking.

If I were to do that, I would probably take a concrete saw and cut about 6" off the perimeter of the coping - all the way around the pool. That will keep all the crumbling concrete and vibrations to a minimum on the actual pool.
Then jackhammer away, the jackhammer shouldn't penetrate into the concrete too far so even if there was something below the concrete it shouldn't' get hit by the jackhammer - at least I wouldn't 'think.

Yes If you speak of the pool deck I see no problem as it's not connected to the actual pool. The pipes should be way down in the ground around the depth of the returns if not lower. Just as side note now would be a good time to assess your plumbing and change anything that may be leaking.
Good idea. Though Would it require a caterpillar digger or similar to assess the piping. Ie if isn’t the piping very deep below where will be exposed when the concrete is taken off.

We’ve just had our electrical work done and the pool light electrical piping looks like it will end up being right below the service of the concrete base for our decking. Our pool overflow pipe and the skimmer equipment, plus
the ground cable/bond wire is also going to be just under the concrete deck base. Hope that helps!
thanks, Daniel.

One person who came suggested only taking out the existing coping, and putting the pavers on top of the existing deck. This would raise the level as currently the deck is on the same level of the coping - so adding pavers on top will raise it higher. The current decking is not level however (some places it goes below the coping) so he'd need to add in concrete or dirt in those spots to level it out, and then put the pavers on top.
I like the idea of less demolition (safer) - what do you think?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.