Is It Really Necessary To Shock A Pool?

Aug 22, 2015
Commack, NY
Hi everyone. I'll make it short and sweet. My signature has my info. Is it necessary to shock a pool. I usually keep the chlorine a bit high, like 3 +/-. Water looks good. Not a lot of usage, usually just me, maybe my wife about 5 times a week for an hour or so. Always a bit of algae on the floor a few days after cleaning but it vacuums right up. If it is a good thing to do every now and then, then please advise me how to do it. I use chlorine bleach to add chlorine at start up and 3" tabs in a Hayward automatic chlorinator. So, if I should shock it, to what chlorine level should I shock it to?
Thanks,
Dave
Commack, NY

Dave:

Welcome to the forum. Regarding your questions, it is bet to limit the usage of 3" tablets. The tell tale signs are that you have algae on your floor. Your CYA is probably high and even keeping your levels a "bit high" are proving to be ineffective. Most of us either have an SWG or use liquid chlorine. The 3" tablets are used to raise CYA in the short term or while away on vacation.

Can you post some results from the Leslie's test kit. This will give us an idea why you have algae. Thanks!

Hello Dave.

Can you tell us which test kit you got last year?

https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...ouds-the-Water-For-Days?p=1270601#post1270601

Please post a complete set of test results to help us understand your water balance. Posting your FC at 3ppm is meaningless without a current CYA level.

If you are following TFPC, and our recommended minimum CYA level of 30ppm, your FC target of 3ppm is too low. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

A FC of 3ppm may not really be high ... it depends on your CYA level.
The fact that you have algae means you are not keeping your FC high enough relative to your CYA, see the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].
My guess is your CYA is way too high.

With visible algae, you should follow the SLAM Process process, but you may need water replacement first to lower the CYA.

Can you be more specific about which Leslie's test kit you have?
Does it have the FAS-DPD chlorine test? If not, you likely need to upgrade.

I haven't shocked my pool since I finished my SLAM to open in June. This is my first year doing TFPC and I haven't had to shock it once. Maybe in some sense I have, after a high bather load or a lot of rain, bumped the FC higher to compensate, but I wouldn't call it a shock treatment. I call it proactive pool management. I definitely don't do it on a regular schedule like the pool store recommends.

I found these kind people 4 years ago, and they helped me understand what my pool needed to keep it CLEAN!
I have not shocked my pool in 4 years, and I have been opening to clear water in the spring that I just have to vacuum the bottom and get my water temp up to be able to swim.

BTW, your Chlorine isn't even a bit on the high side... I keep mine at 7pmm

I NEVER get a hint of the dreaded algae plague showing up.

Reactions: JRzMom
Shocking is generally unnecessary. It’s like antibiotics - you shouldn’t need to be guzzling them every week or two if your normal immune system is working.

I haven’t shocked since adopting the TfP Way, and I no longer have that pesky black and mustard algae that never went away.

Shocking is generally unnecessary. It’s like antibiotics - you shouldn’t need to be guzzling them every week or two if your normal immune system is working.

This is actually a great analogy :goodjob:

And when you really do get sick, you need to complete the entire course of antibiotics (SLAM process) and not just take 1 pill or all at once.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I'm embarrassed to tell you, but I have ben using the Leslie's Poolcare OTO Test Kit, which only tests for TC, pH, Acid Demand and TA. I had a test done at Leslie's today and here are the results:
FAC .5
TAC .5
CH 130
CYA 90
TA 110
pH 7.6
Copper 0
Iron 0
Total Dissolved Solids 500
Phoshates 100

I didn't know my FAC and TAC's were so low and I just compared the results to my home test kit and got the same results.
Gonna shock it today with 10% liquid chlorine and retest it tomorrow.
I have read you responses and some of you say that even a 7 TAC is good. Isn't that murder on the skin and eyes?

Dave

I guess I'm embarrassed to tell you, but I have ben using the Leslie's Poolcare OTO Test Kit, which only tests for TC, pH, Acid Demand and TA. I had a test done at Leslie's today and here are the results:
FAC .5
TAC .5
CH 130
CYA 90
TA 110
pH 7.6
Copper 0
Iron 0
Total Dissolved Solids 500
Phoshates 100

I didn't know my FAC and TAC's were so low and I just compared the results to my home test kit and got the same results.
Gonna shock it today with 10% liquid chlorine and retest it tomorrow.
I have read you responses and some of you say that even a 7 TAC is good. Isn't that murder on the skin and eyes?

Dave

Not if you believe the pool store CYA number. And its FREE CHLORINE not total, we want CC to be ZERO. Take a look at the FC/CYA chart. Time to get a REAL kit and take control of your pool.

Hi Dave - You probably go to Leslie's on Vets Hwy near where the new Whole Foods is going to be (old King Kullen). I'm a few minutes from there. I haven't been to that store in years...waiting in line for their testing was such a waste of my time, their advice was never good and the prices always very high.

With your current CYA (assuming it is even remotely correct), your target FC should be 10-12 ppm and never go below 7. I'd recommend the TF-100 kit and getting rid of the tabs. You also might want to drain some water to get your CYA down to 50ish. A stenner pump setup might be an easier way to go with regards to maintaining FC.

If your target FC is in line with the FC/CYA chart, you should not notice any harshness on skin and eyes. Most of this FC is bound to the stabilizer, so it is actually easier on you than a pool with FC of 2 and no stabilizer.

My pool is 17 x 37 and my CYA is at 40. I dose FC up to 7 every night with 10% bleach with no smell or chlorine side effects except clean sanitized water. Test your own pool water and use the methods that have worked so well for the folks here. Welcome.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.