Is it a Run or a Start capacitor???

Floaty027

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hello Hello.
Long time listener, first time caller. I have been trolling this website for the past year and literally have found answers to probably over 100 questions in my adventures of a first time pool owner. But, alas I need specific help.

So, I have a pool, spa and jet pump… all different brands and different ages. My issue is the 2 hp spa pump. This originally was a WhisperFlo and I still have a WhisperFlo basket and impeller, but the motor was replaced by a pool guy under my home warranty with a US Motor pump that he “hooked” me up with. So, my spa pump is kind of an overpowered Frankenstein at 2 hp for only about 450gal.

On the evening of the 4th after running for a few hours, I went to turn on the pump to mix some chlorine. It would hum, but not turn on. Now of course I did my due diligence and investigated on TFP.

I understand it is most likely a start capacitor issue. Motor hums but does not start, impeller spins freely, and I took out the capacitor and tested it and it’s bad, and found a similar one on amazon at a great price. It seems like I know what I am doing, but I still have questions.
In doing my research I was under the impression that a run capacitor has a range of 15-50 MFD and 370 VAC while a start capacitor has a range of 50-400 MFD and 125 or 250 VAC.

I removed the rear cover and everything looked pretty normal until the capacitor that I assumed was in the location of a start capacitor has the 370 VAC of a run capacitor.
Is this a run or start capacitor?
Does it matter?
If this one is bad should I replace regardless?
Also, anything I find online that matches the numbers are capacitors for HVAC. Is that normal? What is an AC capacitor doing in a pool pump?

And I know I probably answer my own questions, but I would like to have the knowledge. Thanks for everything.

Jake:D

Attachments

• IMG_5763.JPG
    IMG_5763.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5762.JPG
    IMG_5762.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 56
It doesn't really matter if its run or start if its bad just replace it. Some motors have just a run cap, some just a start, some have both and some have none at all. If the cap doesn't help that pool guy might not have "hooked" you up as well as you would have liked.

Thanks. Yes I have noticed the size is going to be an important factor.

Jake

- - - Updated - - -

CJ and BAMA
Thank you for the info! I was just put off about all the talk about HVAC capacitors. Thanks again for the guidence, I ordered from amazon and will install on Saturday. I will post and let you guys know.

Jake

- - - Updated - - -

CJ
He only hooked me up because it was a free motor. Installed in May 2016 so if it's not the capacitor at least I made it this far.

Jake

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.