Is 80sqft of solar pool heater panels worth it?

Poolnewb105

Apr 6, 2019
Ny
I have roughly 80sqft of roof space on the back of my pool shed which would allow me to install two 10 x 4 panels.

The total surface area of my pool is 480 sqft. I know they recommend at least 50% of your pool's surface area in panels but would 80sqft of panels be negligible? Just wondering because it would be a small enough system that I could install myself and wouldn't require building a ground mount rack.

Also, what's the average lifespan of a well made panel?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

splashpad

Bronze Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
SE Kansas!
I have roughly 80sqft of roof space on the back of my pool shed which would allow me to install two 10 x 4 panels.

The total surface area of my pool is 480 sqft. I know they recommend at least 50% of your pool's surface area in panels but would 80sqft of panels be negligible? Just wondering because it would be a small enough system that I could install myself and wouldn't require building a ground mount rack.

Also, what's the average lifespan of a well made panel?

Thanks for the input!
  • Is that roof side south facing?
  • Full sun?
  • Is the shed strong enough to support the water weight?
    • If you moved the water slow enough...
    • and could possibly encase the solar panels to increase captured heat to exchange,
    • it might make a slight difference.
  • Will the pool be covered at night?
    • You would want to retain as much heat added as you can.

Poolnewb105

Apr 6, 2019
Ny
  • Is that roof side south facing?
  • Full sun?
  • Is the shed strong enough to support the water weight?
    • If you moved the water slow enough...
    • and could possibly encase the solar panels to increase captured heat to exchange,
    • it might make a slight difference.
  • Will the pool be covered at night?
    • You would want to retain as much heat added as you can.
It is South facing in full sun but I wouldn't bother encasing them. The shed should be plenty strong enough to support it. However, if the increase is only slight, it's not worth it.

wikihowto

In The Industry
Sep 25, 2017
San Diego California
100% or more of the pools total surface area or more. So in this scenario, I would quote it 12 panels. 2 panels you're wasting your money. Bad investment! Panels must also be facing south or southwest. If not then efficiency is 30-40% less.

Poolnewb105

Apr 6, 2019
Ny
100% or more of the pools total surface area or more. So in this scenario, I would quote it 12 panels. 2 panels you're wasting your money. Bad investment! Panels must also be facing south or southwest. If not then efficiency is 30-40% less.
Awesome, I appreciate the information.

Other Threads of Interest