Is 12.5% the highest liquid chlorine strength?

jmbuys

Jun 13, 2018
MA
12.5% strength seems to be the highest concentration of liquid chlorine, which during a SLAM w/ you have higher CYA required lots of bottles, lots of plastic trash waste, lots of storage etc...seems inefficient (vs granule storage and use which has 50-60% concentrations). I wonder if chemically higher % is possible in liquid form but just not done because lack of demand...or wonder if a granular form of chlorine w/ a more long term sustainable (ie that won't add too much CYA is you want to use it everyday) % of CYA is possible (say 8/1 FC/CYA vs the almost 50/50 of dichlor). maybe a better chlorine product might be possible to more efficiently follow the CYA/FC rule

12.5 is the highest commercially available strength in the US.

wonder if a granular form of chlorine w/ a more long term sustainable (ie that won't add too much CYA is you want to use it everyday) % of CYA is possible (say 8/1 FC/CYA vs the almost 50/50 of dichlor). maybe a better chlorine product might be possible to more efficiently follow the CYA/FC rule

In it's natural state, chlorine is a gas. Many large commercial pools actually use gas injection systems to chlorinate their pools. Now, to change chlorine into something we can use at home it needs to be bound to something to turn it into a solid.

It is my understanding (my wife proves me wrong regularly) that the current ratios are the minimum they can go to make it work. Figure out that riddle and it will be worth a fortune if it can be produced economically.

I purchase 12.5% from a local chemical supply house 55 gallons at a time (in a barrel).

I visited the chemical warehouse initially, and was asking about if a stronger bleach was available. This is what I was told...

What you buy as 12.5% is actually made at 15%, but to account for degradation between the point of manufacture, and point of sale, it is sold as 12.5%.

The higher the chlorine percentage the more unstable it is. Given the time it takes to get from the manufacturing plant to your home even if they can make 20% it would still be about 12.5% once you poured it in the pool. On top of that the escaped chlorine gas would do a number on the trucks it was transported in.

Granular is more efficient, in that there is no water weight, but given that it costs more per PPM of chlorine and/or adds CYA or calcium to the water it is far from more efficient to use. Using a product that will require thousands of gallons to be dumped and replaced is not my idea of less wasteful. Also this is not a case of "they add CYA to the powder", the powder is trichlor or dichlor, a chemical composition that includes both CYA molecules and chlorine. If you can figure out a way to bind chlorine to something other than CYA, calcium, or lithium to create a stable solid form then that patent would be worth quite a fortune. Assuming the chemical you bind it to is safe to be allowed to build up in a swimming pool, that is.

If you are concerned about waste you will want to install an SWG and avoid SLAMing in the future. On-site chlorine production, when managed properly, virtually eliminates the need for additional chlorine sources.

Thanks all...informative. SWG is def. a consideration. Dichlor/Trichlor is still sold as a everyday chlorine solution (at least marketed and suggested by many local pool folks), but those ratios just don't work long term..after a season or 2 you end up w/ unsustainable CY concentrations and unless people find resources like TFP they get ongoing issues to deal with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.