Intro & advice request

We recently helped my mom with her pool build which started the week of July 1. Additionally we are doing our own pool in a few months.

In the meantime, we are trying to figure out what’s going on with this pool surface. It was “completed” 6 weeks ago. Still waiting for the heater to connect to spa, pipes in ground covered...very frustrating. This is our first pool but not my mom’s. The quartz is very uneven in color especially in the spa/hot tub. When we asked the PB (right after complete) he said it would level out From reading the forums, it seems we may need an acid wash? Hopefully this picture taken with shade is clear enough.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 5870F0D8-A926-4873-BAF1-2305B7D19E4F.jpeg
    5870F0D8-A926-4873-BAF1-2305B7D19E4F.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Reactions: redlegwife
It is not likely that the color will even out, and unfortunately, it will probably get worse.
It appears that there were some mistakes made. What kind of start-up process was used?
I would recommend sanding and polishing instead of an acid treatment. An acid treatment etches the plaster finish and will shorten the life-span. The PB should take care of this problem.

Red, I'm sure OB will be back at some point to address your last question. He's one of the best regarding plaster/concrete. In the meantime, here's a thread he assisted with that reminded me a bit of your scenario. It may not be exactly what you experienced, but it's a good discussion with a few other links in it to read. Might help give you a head-start on that education you mentioned. Best of luck!

I am linking two excellent articles/posts by OnBalance, our cement & plaster guru: Perhaps something helpful here

Probably the best and most likely information that applies to your situation is the article "The Art of Good Pool Plaster Color"
And especially this particular paragraph below.

When a pool is plastered too fast, due to adding too much calcium chloride set accelerant, the plaster surface can display severe and irregular mottling, color fading, or white blotchiness, streaking, and spotting. Also, if other quality workmanship practices, such as proper troweling, trowel pass timing, water/cement ratio, refraining from wet troweling or propane torching, etc. are not followed, increased negative effects may plague the surface aesthetics. And understand that those ugly discoloration problems generally take a few months to worsen and become increasingly visible.

Excessive water troweling often results in color plaster turning whitish in various patterns after the pool is filled with water.
But to be sure, I am still wondering how the water was treated at first. Was an acid start-up used?

Last edited:
Probably the best and most likely information that applies to your situation is the article "The Art of Good Pool Plaster Color"
And especially this particular paragraph below.

Excessive water troweling often results in color plaster turning whitish in various patterns after the pool is filled with water.
But to be sure, I am still wondering how the water was treated at first. Was an acid start-up used?

Thanks for the information. An acid start up was not used. The PB is returning to do an acid bath.