Intex Ultra Frame rusted out in one year

To spare me from having to repost my pictures all over again, let me just link to a different thread here:

Has intex quality dropped?

Rather than sit and be disgusted with the quality of things these days, I just sat down and built my own. I actually beat out Intex in terms of replacement costs for a frame and have something that will probably last very much longer. Plus no waiting on any repairs if they ever are needed since I can just run down to Lowes and get what I need.

I finally got around to reuploading the photos that were missing in the first post but also wanted to provide an update to where we are at now.

Remember, last year we ended up purchasing an entire new pool on sale as it only cost slightly more than ordering a complete set of replacements for the rusted out legs. Following another users recommendation, we purchased some 2" self fusing silicone tape and wrapped the top and bottoms of the replacement vertical legs. The 2" width allowed us to completely cover the locking pin area at the top as well as the actual edge where the union meets the top of the pole. The horizontal poles already had significant rust forming so we left them as is knowing we'd be replacing those this year.

Fast forwarding to this year, we lowered the water to replace the horizontal poles and found they were all completely rotted and were impossible to remove without shedding shards of sharp rusted metal all over, inside and around the pool area. Here are what these two year old poles looked like:

Because we were worried about the possibility of liner damage due to all of the sharp metal that was lying in the pool after removing the horizontals, we decided to go ahead and use the new liner. We will have no use for spare intex parts after this pool reaches end of life so no sense in saving a new liner that will likely have no poles to setup. We will not be buying Intex products ever again...

When we set everything back up, we were very pleased with how well the silicone tape extended the life of the vertical legs. While some rust formation is present (on the bare metal inside the poles), we estimate that we should get at least two more seasons out of the existing legs (they have been up for a year already). I took the precaution of treating the visible rust with some Loctite Rust Neutralizer, followed up with a couple coats of paint. I added a couple of coats to the ends of the new horizontal poles for good measure and also put a layer of 2" self fusing silicone tape around the ends where the liner rests on the poles, hoping it would seal out some water as well as prevent friction wearing through the coating over time (which we saw evidence of on the old poles). Instead of redoing the bottom of the legs with the self fusing silicone tape, I decided to seal the bottom the legs (where they join the cup) with a bead of silicone caulk. While we had made the tape work, it was awkward to get it to wrap without bunching up because of the flared feet. The tape is perfect for covering the top end and locking pin area however.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to seal the area where the horizontals fit into the t-joints. My initial plan was to do a silicone tape wrap but the geometry of the area is making me question how well of a seal I'm going to get. Still formulating a plan of action for that...

I looked up the Prism Frame pools and it looks like the poles and t-connectors are round/oval. I would think that using 2" silicone tape over the connections (being sure to also cover the pins) would help keep water out of the joints. I would actually be tempted to try to find a way to cover the holes at the bottom of each t-connector (where the pins come out the bottom) as the part of the pins that stick out the bottom will probably get in the way of making a nice tight wrap.

On my new Intex XTR I put a thick bead of silicon in the plastic leg support channel where the leg slides in and am going to use silicon tape to wrap the top. One of the changes Intex made to this new pool is the polymer T joints. The Ultra frame from last year the T's had holes in the top where the horizontal arms attached. So water would get under the arms go into the T then down the legs. The new T's do not have holes on top so water can not go down the inside of the legs. Water can however get into the arms so sealing those areas with silicon tape is an automatic for me.

Reactions: splashpad
Yes, I have the Ultra Frame as well and that is what I have done. However the Prism Frame are still using the metal t-connectors from the pictures I looked up. The simpler geometry of the parts should be much easier to tape up than the newer plastic joints on the Ultra Frames. Our first Intex was very similar to the OPs and actually lasted at least 5 seasons without any treatment (we bought it used). There main reason we "upgraded" to the Ultra was because we wanted a larger pool. The old pool was developing leaks and while it had some rust, the poles would have probably lasted another season. Unfortunately we didn't get anywhere near the longevity with the Ultra. All the tape and silicone is a bandaid for horrible quality parts.

I will take detailed photos of the Prism Frame components this weekend. The insides are definitely not coated.

Is there any concern with all of the silicone tape wrapping that moisture remains trapped inside? Should I attempt to coat the inside of the pipes?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.