Intex Ultra Frame liner "pocket"

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
Today while enjoying my sparkling clean pool, I noticed water is trapped in the pockets at the top of the liner:

41F5BFBA-12B4-4124-9368-5B6376300AC4_zps9hnghyew.jpg

Now, of course I had to stick my finger in there, and make the horrific discovery that it was slimey.

I immediately removed as much of the water as I could, wiped out what I could & filled it with pool water that I had bumped up to almost shock level. We just had a lot of rain so I'm certain the water in that channel was chlorine free.

While my pool never gets below my FC target (1ppm over target is the lowest it has been this season) and the water is clear, this "breeding ground" has me worried. I can't get into the channel below the top rail very good to wipe or brush it.

Am I being ridiculous (wife thinks so), or is this a bloom just waiting to happen?

I'm curious what other Intex owners do / don't do?

I think I'll be in the habit of dumping a few cups of fresh pool water in there every night when I check FC & pH.

I'm hoping this will be less of an issue as it gets warmer & we use the pool every day.

Dom

That was my first thought too, but I'm worried if that would compromise the strength of the liner.

I think I'm going to mix up a 5 gallon bucket of my pool water to shock level and do a "mini-slam" on that channel.

Dom

I thought about this a bit, what you may want to do is buy some cotton type rope, like that used to be known as close line, and stick it a inch or so on each side. Then let that hang two or three inches down on the outside of the pool. This should create a "wick" effect, and keep it dry with wind and sunlight.

I thought about this a bit, what you may want to do is buy some cotton type rope, like that used to be known as close line, and stick it a inch or so on each side. Then let that hang two or three inches down on the outside of the pool. This should create a "wick" effect, and keep it dry with wind and sunlight.
That's a great idea, thanks!

I decided not to shock that channel, I just took out as much water as I could. I'll have those wicks in tomorrow LOL.

Now, am I safe to say that if algae was blooming in there and spilled over into the pool that it will die as long as my FC remains at or above my target for my CYA?

That's my ultimate concern here.

Dom

Re: Intex Ultra Frame liner "pocket"

I have felt slime in there on prior pools and never had it translate to a pool water issue. As you say, just keep the pool at an appropriate FC level and my experience would say you'll be fine. I don't do anything at all with ours, other than remove spiders, who seem to love all hiding spots around the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

I do always be sure to brush up to that level, however - not saying in the channel, but above the water line. And to be honest, I am not a big brusher, but when I do brush I make sure to knock down that area between the channel and the water level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine is nasty. Sometimes when the pool overflows from rain I will press down on the outside to try to flush as much out as possible but there's always water and algae in there and I've not yet come up with a way to clean it (Though admittedly I haven't tried very hard because I'm the Queen of all procrastinators.)

I noticed on my old one, but my pool was quite sparkly, so I never bothered with it. When you have rowdy boys splashing everywhere, it's a losing battle! Moved the pool, so at least now, there won't be pine needles hanging out in there any longer! (Those I did tend to remove, as they would fall into the pool when the splashing occurred.)

can't you use a glue gun.

?

Glue gun? To what?

Hmmmmmm

Anywhooo... I was just meaning to say that for about 10 years now I have essentially ignored that pocket rim thing and it's never affected my water chemistry.

I should add that most of the time it's only me or one other adult in the pool so no splashing. If I had to worry more about the water from the channel getting into the bulk pool water I'd probably have to figure something out to clean it.

Thanks for all the replies, they have put my mind at ease.

I tried the cotton rope/wick idea and after 3 days the channel is still wet, and if it rains they seem to fall out from being soaking wet anyway. Good idea but I guess it's not hot or windy enough to make a noticeable difference.

I'll stay vigilant with my FC levels like I should and just go with the "flow" LOL.

Dom

When I had an Intex, I just used a Dollar Store toilet brush to clean out that area and the one at the bottom of the pool. I got algae in those crevices bit never had it in the pool water. I am glad you found a solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.