Intex SWG Homemade Adapters

Apr 30, 2016
Bettendorf, IA
So as we all know, Intex isn't AGP pump friendly out of the box. They obviously use some proprietary connections for their own pools and pumps. But, you can use adapt them with a little plumbing know how and the right items.

This was my shopping list:
  • 1 1/2" Female Adapter (Brand: Carlon, Item#18192) purchased at Lowe's $0.98 each and purchased 2 of them
  • 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" Reducer Bushing (Brand: Carlon, Item#115973) purchased at Lowe's $2.68 each and purchased 2 of them
  • PVC purple primer and PVC gray cement for attaching pvc connections together (These items are critical to prevent leaking.
  • 1 1/4"-1 1/2" Hose Adapter (Brand: Hydrotools Swimline, Item# VC 1085) purchased at my local pool store for $2.00 each, purchased 2 of them
  • Teflon tape for threaded connections
  • Two large Intex nuts off of a stock Intex hose (cut the hose and remove the nuts.

I will list the steps and then supply the pictures of the parts and the finished assemblies.

1. Cut/sand/grind off the tabs on the reducer bushing. This will allow it to slide fully into the Intex nut.
  2. Sand off the lettering on the face of the reducer bushing to provide a smooth sealing surface.
  3. Slide the reducer bushing into the nut
  4. Apply a thin layer of purple primer to the outside of the bushing, and the inside of the female adapter.
  5. Apply a thin layer of gray cement to the outside of the bushing, and the inside of the female adapter.
  6. While the cement is still wet, slide the reducer bushing all the way into the female adapter and give it a 1/4 turn. This process is critical and it must be allowed to cure for no less than 2 hours. You are basically welding these to parts together. Once the assembly is cured you can move on to the next step.
  7. Apply Teflon tape to the threads of the hose adapter.
  8. Screw the hose adapter into the threaded end of the female adapter.
  9. Use two pairs of pliers to tighten the hose adapter until in cannot be turned anymore.

Congratulations, you have just made your very own Intex SWG adapter set. Simply screw them onto the SWG and attach your hoses.

IMG_2780.jpgIMG_2779.jpg

Here is the finished product.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the various fittings. These were located in the electrical conduit aisle. These are schedule 40 and approved for liquid use.

Attachments

• IMG_2783.jpg
    IMG_2783.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2777.JPG
    IMG_2777.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 49
A little more information on this particular setup. I am using the Intex SWG model # CS8110 w/Copper ionizer. I have removed the 2 copper bars and sealed the sockets that the bars were in with silicon sealant. I have used this unit for 2 years now, and it runs great. I clean the salt cell with 4-1 Muriatic and water mixture. The plates still look like the day they were new. I will be the first to say, if you take care of it and perform the proper preventative maintenance these units will perform satisfactory for years. I have considered replacing it with a highly respected name brand unit that produces more, however I can't see spending the extra cash on it. When this one fails I'll replace it with another Intex unit; they currently sell for around $119 on Amazon. The nice part is the cheaper units use the same salt cell so it that is all that broke simply swap them and retain your better unit.

I'll also post the link in this post that shows all the Intex models and what their outputs are. This document is an actual Intex document.

https://www.intexcorp.com/media/faq/3303.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.