Intex SWG flashing low salt Considering newer model Intex SWG - NO COPPER electrodes

Apr 28, 2017
Ft Worth, TX
So I got a new Intex18x52 online last year to replace an 18x48. It's kind of turning into a money pit, but I'm learning alot, so I'll count it as good.
After one year of use, the Intex SWG started out this season with intermittent flashing "low salt" after about one week of use producing sufficient levels of chlorine...no significant rain, salt levels testing at in range multiple ways, no cell build up....
The only change has been an upgrade to a 2500GPH pump to accommodate a pool cleaner.

Any suggestions or advice before I get the new model with a warranty?

Ill go against the grain on replacing the SWG and suggest manual Chlorine addtion. It won't be that much of a hassle, and shouldn't be that much in quantity either. Just a suggestion, but a very simple solution.

Thank you, the trichloryl-ethelene build up from just using just stabilized chlorine has always been a reaction problem for use. in ground we used an nassent oxygen generating system and shocked weekly with bleach, above ground we switched to SWG as soon as I realized it was available.
Is there a way with an above ground that I may not know about to keep sanitize the pool and produce chl besides stabilized chl shock? we live in hot and very sunny Texas.

Thanks for any additional suggestions you may have.

Try adding salt. It may be low despite tests in range.

Thank you
I added an additional bag yesterday. That makes a total of six **correction**seven and a half (300lbs). Testing it again this morning. Would the need for sodium change from year to year, in that the sensor or something in the mechanism necessary for salt levels becomes less sensitive and requires more to function?
As long as it is producing sufficient chl (which it is/was up until the last few days when it started to show "low salt" consistently rather than intermittently with all other factors remaining generally the same) is there a way to recalibrate it or overide it so it keeps running?

Thanks for any additional info.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you
Yes, did a full cleaning of all the equipment two-three weeks ago on set up. Actually took the cell out to inspect it. I've done a visual check almost daily because of this intermittant "low salt" and there is no build up on or even between the plates.

I'll go check again.
I'm stumped.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you
Yes, did a full cleaning of all the equipment two-three weeks ago on set up. Actually took the cell out to inspect it. I've done a visual check almost daily because of this intermittant "low salt" and there is no build up on or even between the plates.

I'll go check again.
I'm stumped.

Thank you
I have used liquid bleach, in the past, to shock my in ground. When I bought the Intex, somewhere I read to not use liquid bleach. Is that kind of like the "Do Not run the SWG with swimmers in the pool!" rule.
That would be great to know as a stop gap until I figure this problem out.
I so appreciate y"alls help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure you can use bleach in an Intex pool. That's what most people here who are worried about corrosion with an SWG use. Go ahead and use it temporarily until you sort out your SWG problem.

Awesome!! Good to know, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

I use bleach everyday in my ultra frame.

Wowza!! Good to know. Do you have a protocal you are willing to share?

Well, Hallelujah!! Miss Fussy Pants SWG just decided to kick in and work again, today. Here's hopin' for no more "low salt" readings and a full swimming season from here on out.
I am interested in hearing more about using bleach as a sanitizer regularly. I'll search for threads, but if someone wants to share...much appreciated.

Blessings from Texas, y'all

Well, Hallelujah!! Miss Fussy Pants SWG just decided to kick in and work again, today. Here's hopin' for no more "low salt" readings and a full swimming season from here on out.
I am interested in hearing more about using bleach as a sanitizer regularly. I'll search for threads, but if someone wants to share...much appreciated.

Blessings from Texas, y'all
It could be something as simple as the water was too cold.

Anyway... for using bleach, it's really easy. You run a FC test. You go to pool math and enter your current FC, your target FC, your pool size, and what strength your chlorine is. It tells you how much to add. You go out and stand next to the return while the pump is on and pour the bleach into the stream. That's it. The only difference is that somewhere else they have a gigantic version of your SWG and they bottle up the output and sell it to you. Chemically, there's really no difference.

Setting the target means knowing your CYA level, which also requires testing. But it doesn't change much.

What happens is that eventually you know exactly where to dose your pool so that FC doesn;t dip below minimum for your CYA and day after day it's the same amount and you just wander out for a few seconds and dump it in, testing a few times a week just to keep tabs on things.

There's more detail in Pool School - PoolMath

Anyway... for using bleach, it's really easy. You run a FC test. You go to pool math and enter your current FC, your target FC, your pool size, and what strength your chlorine is. It tells you how much to add. You go out and stand next to the return while the pump is on and pour the bleach into the stream. That's it. The only difference is that somewhere else they have a gigantic version of your SWG and they bottle up the output and sell it to you. Chemically, there's really no difference.

Setting the target means knowing your CYA level, which also requires testing. But it doesn't change much.

What happens is that eventually you know exactly where to dose your pool so that FC doesn;t dip below minimum for your CYA and day after day it's the same amount and you just wander out for a few seconds and dump it in, testing a few times a week just to keep tabs on things.

There's more detail in Pool School - PoolMath

Thank you for all the information and further direction.
Very helpful and much appreciated!!

When my low salt indicator starts to go off, it usually means the cell in my SWG is going. Seems like I have to replace it every year - just got my new one under warranty since it decided to stop working one month *before* the 1 year warranty ran out instead of 1 month after like usual.

I hope that is not the case for you, but something to keep in mind.

When my low salt indicator starts to go off, it usually means the cell in my SWG is going. Seems like I have to replace it every year - just got my new one under warranty since it decided to stop working one month *before* the 1 year warranty ran out instead of 1 month after like usual.

I hope that is not the case for you, but something to keep in mind.

Thank you.
I have wondered about that as an unfortunate design issue.
It started up again yesterday and ran for a boost cycle to catch up on chlorination.
This morning...it ran for fifteen minutes, then fussy pants...LOW SALT reading. One gentleman mentioned water temp as a possible issue. It's pretty chilly this morning (70), but was 90 yesterday and is to be in the 90's today through Thursday. I'm taking out the kayak and floaties and putting on the solar cover every night...hoping the increase in ambient and water temp makes the difference.

I realize, the more I read on this site, that my first Intex SWG was one of the oldie but goodie, no cooper ones. I could have sworn that I kept it for parts when I bought this new pool that came with a new SWG last year. Hoping to find it up in the attic because it was still working and had been problem free for four years. If not...a new SWG may be in my future, but I will time the warranty expiration date and next years pool opening strategically if that's the case.

Hopeful

I just ordered a new cell for mine today after fighting the low salt indicator the end of all last summer. I knew my cell was out because I could usually see the water get cloudy coming off of the cell, and it was as clear coming off the cell now as it was going into the pipe. And I also used bleach in my Intex pool, when my SWG crapped out. Just use the TFP Pool Math link at the top of the page and it should lead you in the right direction as to how much you need. Keep your CYA level in check and it will save you from loosing too much chlorine.

This statement just MAY save me an unnecessary Intex SWG purchase. It was in the 80-90's for the last two days and the SWG decided to kick back in and run two full cycles, including a boost. Today it was 70 degrees in the AM...it ran 15 minutes, then urrrrgh...another "LOW SALT" reading.
I remembered your temperature comment and waited til it got in the 80's....BOOM!! It's been running for three hours so far :)

Could be a fluke, but I'm hoping I just got a temperature sensitive SWG. That is an easy and free problem to solve.

Hopeful & Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.