Intex sand filter issues

foxbody

Jun 3, 2021
Beverly, MA
Purchased in September, used for about a month and then stored outside covered with a tarp, I'm finding three issues.

1. The pressure is higher (yellow zone).
How long should I backwash? *Edit* And how frequently? A Youtube video indicated best practice is backwash then rinse for 30 seconds. I performed about a 20 second backwash and rinse which lowered the pressure enough to achieve lower pressures but they still are on the line of "green" and "yellow".

2. Turning the dial on top is difficult.
Maybe there's sand stuck in there? How would I solve this?

3. Some minor leaks observed
I don't recall using plumbers tape for the connections to the filter last year (just for the skimmer). Is this recommended?

I highly appreciate the forum and everyone's feedback! :)(y)

Last edited:
We recommend a backwash when you see the filter pressure increase by about 25% from the clean pressure. Backwash until you see the water going out to waste fairly clear, then do the same on rinse cycle. On rinse, once it goes clear give it another 20-30 seconds or so just to be sure before going back to filter. The handle might just be tight from being relatively new. Had to tell if that's normal or if something happened during the winter. Be sure to have the pump OFF when changing settings. If your plumbing goes into the mulitport valve with threaded adapters, some people use plumber's dope while others use a few wraps of Teflon tape. Always be careful to not overtighten.

We recommend a backwash when you see the filter pressure increase by about 25% from the clean pressure. Backwash until you see the water going out to waste fairly clear, then do the same on rinse cycle. On rinse, once it goes clear give it another 20-30 seconds or so just to be sure before going back to filter. The handle might just be tight from being relatively new. Had to tell if that's normal or if something happened during the winter. Be sure to have the pump OFF when changing settings. If your plumbing goes into the mulitport valve with threaded adapters, some people use plumber's dope while others use a few wraps of Teflon tape. Always be careful to not overtighten.

Great, thank you!! After 2 short back washes and rinses today, the pressure is up in the yellow again so I will backwash and rinse longer next time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.