Intex Salt Water Filter: Does it need to be kept covered when not in use?

ThatGuy511

Jun 9, 2019
Oklahoma
The paperwork says to cover it and it only has a little plastic flap to keep water out. But geez, it is literally for sitting next to a pool!

So does it REALLY need to be covered every time?

Same question for the Intex Krystal Klear Sand filter/pump. But I saw another thread that seemed to say it didn’t. But just double checking if anyone has had any issues leaving it uncovered?

P.S. I live in tornado alley where the rain is often blowing sideways (vs down), so don’t know if that will matter or not.

(And yes, when plugged in the electric plug is protected)

Photos: The pic of the closeup of the back of the pump just shows where rain can get into the vents so it sure if that’s an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have that (it may be one size smaller though...mine is the intex pump/swg combo and sand filter for 1500 gph) Anyway, I must have missed about covering it. Mine has never been covered. I did take it the pump in for the winter and covered the sand filter, but April thru Sept it's outside and uncovered.

Reactions: ThatGuy511
We had an intex pump and salt water thing for 5 summers and never covered them. I think the chlorinator kicked the bucket the 5th season (could never get water right, it was cloudy and gross last summer - I assumed the chlorinator) - but I think it just wore out chemically, I don't think it was due to getting wet.

Reactions: ThatGuy511
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.