Intex Prism pool setup

Jeff1013

Jul 21, 2020
Northern NJ
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum & a first-time above ground pool owner. I have an Intex Prism above ground pool 15'x48" that I'm trying to set up. I've completely leveled the ground (after doing a terrible job myself I hired pool pro's to come level it so now it's definitely leveled properly). I have a thin layer of sand on top of the leveled ground. And so now I'm ready to start filling it up with water. My question is, do I really need supports (wood blocks or pavers) underneath the legs to prevent them from sinking into the ground or not? And if I do, what's the best thing to use.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum & a first-time above ground pool owner. I have an Intex Prism above ground pool 15'x48" that I'm trying to set up. I've completely leveled the ground (after doing a terrible job myself I hired pool pro's to come level it so now it's definitely leveled properly). I have a thin layer of sand on top of the leveled ground. And so now I'm ready to start filling it up with water. My question is, do I really need supports (wood blocks or pavers) underneath the legs to prevent them from sinking into the ground or not? And if I do, what's the best thing to use.

Thanks!
Yes you do, pressure treated wood or 4 inch half blocks.

Firm hard packed ground is a must have. I cant say that you need pavers with 100% certainty, but I have seen many pools not use them that wish they had. I have also seen many that did not use pavers and were successful. If there is any chance that your ground will hold rain water and have any level of saturation just do the little bit of extra work now and do the pavers. Ground prep is EVERYTHING when it comes to these intex style pools. I just set up an intex 16x48 prism a couple months ago and used a 9x7x2.5 inch paver that was placed on hard packed semi rocky soil. Up here in the PNW the ground has lots of rocks. So far so good on my pavers not cracking or moving. This forum is full of posts of people getting pavers not thick enough or not set on hard packed level soil causing them to crack. Just put in the extra work now so you dont have to drain and do it again later.
Good luck!

Thank you! Full disclosure, I'm the least handy guy I know & I messed things up royally in this process. I'm saying this because I hired pool pros to level my ground & I'm worried that if I start messing with their work to bury pavers that I won't get them fully level or something & just make things worse for myself. That's the only reason I'm reluctant to use them. If I do get them is there a specific material that they're made of that I'll need? I know that the ground is fully leveled but I don't know how much it will get filled with water over time. Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty sure my pavers are just concrete from home depot garden section. Do yourself a favor and go to AboveGroundPros.com this guy has a DIY/video playlist section. Search for the 2 part video on how to install a round intex type pool. Everything you need to know on how to get your pool up is there. EVERYTHING! I cant tell you how much head ache , stress and money these videos saved me. I watched them both multiple times to make sure I got things right. Also look for how to get wrinkles out of the bottom of the pool. Best advice out there when it comes to this. I followed all his advice and had a pretty good install that I am actually proud of.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have the same pool just the old style and used the 12x12x1.5 pavers from the local box store and have been fine. Like said above make sure there is solid ground under the pavers with no air pockets and you should be fine. I used a torpedo level to get the pavers level and water level to match them to the lowest one. Take a look at how I did my install in my signature. I used DG after I leveled my pavers with a compactor that I rented and it turned out great.

Reactions: Winstonselect848

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.