Intex Pre Filter Assembly Question

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
Last night, I used my vacuum for the first time. Set up was easy and I blocked off my other suctions since I have the dual ones. My pool has been up and running for just over 3 weeks now and everything is great, but I want to make sure that I didnt mess anything up.

My pre filter assembly has always looked like it it very full with water with the occasional air at the very top (size of a quarter floating around at the top). Water so full that you couldn't actually "see" if flowing through. While vacuuming last night, the Intex directions mentioned to release air from the valve if there was any...Well since I noticed the quarter sized air bubble getting bigger I decided to turn the pressure release valve as it told me to do to release the air. When I did that, it almost seemed like it released a bunch of pressure in there! I let the air seep out and then quickly tightened it back up...but now things are flowing differently.

I can actually "see" the water flowing from my inlet tubes through the basket. The water is not sitting in there filled up to the top anymore. So my question I guess is, did I mess something up?! Its either that, or I have not been running things correctly before. I am attaching a little video clip of what it looks like now (I dont have a before picture) and me releasing the air valve and then tightening it again.

Anyone else have picture or video of what the water flow should looks like coming through this things, or if you should even see the water flow at all?

Intex Pump - YouTube

If the vacuum is still connected, what you're seeing is pretty normal.

The air release valve they mention is on the filter itself, near the very top somewhere. You opened the suction side and actually let air in, not out. Find the air bleed on the filter and release any trapped air and see what happens.

And if you're done vacuuming, be sure to open the second inlet.

Yes, all done and opened second inlet.

Hmmm, that thingy that I turned in the Video is called the "Air Release Valve" according to Intex. Do all sand filters have this air bleeder valve?
No. Not if it exits out the top.

Yours will release air and let water flow out if the pump is off since the pool is higher. But running, you'll probably just suck air in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.