Intex pool thru wall skimmer ?

Hi Dom
After reading what you said about why you didn't hard plumb your pool because when you are in it, it's always moving made me think. The kids get that pool moving so much I end up always having to tell them to be a bit more careful. So makes me really think. What did you use to connect your intex hose to the skimmer? That's the only thing I don't know how to do. I can connect to it hard plumb but scratching my head when it comes to connecting the hose. Thanks again Dom for all your great advise. :)
Mike
As stated in my install thread, I used a Game A2656 40MM X 1-1/2 Short Adapter for the Intex hose hookup. ( https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Soft-Side-Short-Connection/dp/B004GE6OQA ).

I was planning on waiting til pool is half full before installing the skimmer. Thanks for the info. Wasn't really planning on splitting the gasket but it seems like I will have to do just that.

No you won't. The only reason to split the gasket is if you intend to install the skimmer when the pool is full. You have to have the skimmer installed *before* you cut through the liner, so that all the water doesn't run out when you do. To get the gasket on both sides of the liner before the hole is cut, you have to split it in half.

But if you cut the hole while the water is lower you can keep the gasket intact and place it around the hole as intended. I drained just below where I cut the hole because I was afraid splitting the gasket would be more subject to leaks. That may not be a real issue, but since your pool isn't full yet anyway, you might as well keep it intact.

temporary_zps43a4ed4a.jpg

temporary_zps3fe61a85.jpg

No you won't. The only reason to split the gasket is if you intend to install the skimmer when the pool is full. You have to have the skimmer installed *before* you cut through the liner, so that all the water doesn't run out when you do. To get the gasket on both sides of the liner before the hole is cut, you have to split it in half.......
While I did indeed drain below the skimmer location, I chose to split the gasket for the reason I listed in post 19:

I chose to split the gasket and cut the liner last for two main reasons:

1) I was concerned that when cutting the opening the weight of the water could pull on the liner and start a tear in one of the corners of the opening.
2) See #1 above :joker:
I chose to install the skimmer first to re-enforce the liner when I cut it.

I also worried that once cut, the liner may stretch, and I didn't want creases under the gasket.

I really don't think it's wise to install the skimmer while it's under-water.

As stated by me and others, you don't have to split the gasket if you cut the liner before you install the skimmer.

now i am totally confused. to split or not to split that is the question :confused:

i have seen some people asking about if the pool wall would support the skimmer. i wanted to ask, since i am hard plumbing if the 1 1/2" pvc would be good enough for the support?
There's enough people on here that have done it and I've never heard anyone say not to do it. If you are that worried about you can always put a brace under it? I'm thinking of doing this myself

I don't see how that would seal without leaking. You'd have it doubled over on itself on each side of the liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you Finally cut pool installed skimmer had slight leak but muscled through. I ended up pulling both the returns up and just pinned them. I will need one of them for my pool cleaner. I appreciate your comment. TFP has been a blessing

I had to tighten the **** out of the screws to get mine to stop leaking. I actually used a screwdriver bit in a socket wrench to do it. Those suckers are hard to turn.

And yes, that is the cap from the backwash port on my pump covering the old intake below my skimmer.

In hindsight, I wish I hadn't blocked this port with the Hayward. It would be nice to have the option to draw from a 2nd intake below the waterline. I would've added a valve so that I could use either or both.

Well the deed is done. The hole is cut. I have a very slight leak (drip) at the bottom of the Hayward skimmer where the end screws in and the water is currently refilling the part that I lost below the hole. Won't try the pump until tomorrow after work. This was a huge step for me as I treat my pool like a baby and to cut such a big hole in it but thinking I won't regret it one bit.
Thanks all for your advise. I did not cut the gasket and I did not hard plumb it as the pool moves so much when the kids are in it.
Thanks all
Mike

I did install my widemouth skimmer this past weekend. No problems whatsoever. I did not split my gasket. I stopped the filling water about 3" below where the skimmer was to go. Installed skimmer and no leaks. I actually used my impact drill with a #3 tip in it to tighten my screws. Just had to be careful not to over tighten and break the plastic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.