Intex pool sand base and pavers

ScottRDay

May 27, 2020
Richmond, OH
Hi all, first post here. I've been searching and reading all of the fantastic advice on this site. Thank you for that. We are about to install an Intex 18' x 52" pool. I have the ground dug out and leveled. My plan was to put a layer of sand down and set the legs on pavers. Intex specifically says to not use sand, but it appears that a lot of people still do. I set the pavers down into position just to see what they looked like. They are all almost perfectly level all the way around already. What my plan was to do is to have sand delivered and put enough sand down to match the level of the pavers. So since the pavers are 1.7" thick, that would be 1.7" of sand. That way I do not have to dig out 18 square holes and start from scratch trying to level each paver and the level all 18 together since they are already level. Do you see anything wrong with adding the 1.7" of sand to bring the level up to the top of the pavers? That would be the same thing as setting the pavers in holes level with the ground.

Last edited:
Hi all, first post here. I've been searching and reading all of the fantastic advice on this site. Thank you for that.
Welcome and good job!

We are about to install an Intex 18' x 52" pool. I have the ground sug out and leveled. My plan was to put a layer of sand down and set the legs on pavers. Intex specifically says to not use sand, but it appears that a lot of people still do.
What we all do is use a thin layer of sand for comfort and to protect the liner from the tough ground :D We do not use the sand as the foundation for the pool

I set the pavers down into position just to see what they looked like. They are all almost perfectly level all the way around already. What my plan was to do is to have sand delivered and put enough sand down to match the level of the pavers. So since the pavers are 1.7" thick, that would be 1.7" of sand. That way I do not have to dig out 18 square holes and start from scratch trying to level each paver and the level all 18 together since they are already level. Do you see anything wrong with adding the 1.7" of sand to bring the level up to the top of the pavers? That would be the same thing as setting the pavers in holes level with the ground.
This should be okay, you'll just have to watch if swimmers push off the bottom and push the sand out from under the pool, which would stretch the liner depending on how much moved out...

Reactions: ScottRDay
Can you define "thin layer"? I see people say that a lot, but I don't know what "thin layer" really means. Is it 1/2"? 1"? 5"? Is my 1.7" considered a "thin layer"?
So basically, anything under 2" as long as it's not being used as the foundation (aka building up the low side of uneven ground) is "acceptable". But this all goes to one's personal preference and each personal situation.

Reactions: ScottRDay
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.