Intex pool Heatpump, bonding?

Poolnewbie144

Jul 2, 2020
Littleton, CO
Hi,
We are making some upgrades to our intex XTR Ultra Frame 32'x16'x52" pool setup this second year of use. One of these is getting a heat pump as the solar cover just didn't cut it last year, and my littlest kiddo wanted nothing to do with the water in the pool because it was freezing. Reading up on the heatpump install, we are having an electrician put in a 40 amp breaker thing (sorry don't know the terms well yet) and line to where the heatpump will be. Is that what we should be doing? I'm lost here as our intex pump was able to connect to the appropriate outlet on our house last summer. Also reading that the heatpump needs to be bonded with the rest of the equipment. How does one even go about bonding an intex pool that is soft sided, and has those plastic connector pieces? Super lost here and hoping we can figure this out to make it safe and warmer for my littlest to actually enjoy the pool. We are also having a concrete pad poured to put the pool on, I don't know if that makes a difference or not as well.

Bonding is for safety but most above ground pools do not have any.. You can do it with no issue.. It takes a a couple things and a #8 copper wire... You will not bond the frame for the reason you state the metal legs are not connected..

I would skip the concrete pad, what you have is good if it is working now... If you do pour a concrete pad you can bond to the rebar in the pad in the 4 corners with the copper wire..

Everything that has a bonding lug will be connected to each other and bonded with the water..

You need this for the water and will plumb it into the pipe between pump and pool

If you have a skimmer you can use this one, its the one I used and has worked perfect for 8 years

The copper wire will get connected to the heat pump, water, and pump if it has a bonding lug

You can also run the copper wire around the bottom of the pool in the ground to bond that area, I did not do that because we have a deck and get in and out of the pool that way..

Hope this helps :)

Bonding is for safety but most above ground pools do not have any.. You can do it with no issue.. It takes a a couple things and a #8 copper wire... You will not bond the frame for the reason you state the metal legs are not connected..

I would skip the concrete pad, what you have is good if it is working now... If you do pour a concrete pad you can bond to the rebar in the pad in the 4 corners with the copper wire..

Everything that has a bonding lug will be connected to each other and bonded with the water..

You need this for the water and will plumb it into the pipe between pump and pool

If you have a skimmer you can use this one, its the one I used and has worked perfect for 8 years

The copper wire will get connected to the heat pump, water, and pump if it has a bonding lug

You can also run the copper wire around the bottom of the pool in the ground to bond that area, I did not do that because we have a deck and get in and out of the pool that way..

Hope this helps :)
Thank you, husband has the concrete pad as non-negotiable. So, does that mean we just have some copper wires tied to the corners and left sticking out of the slab? Or?
No skimmer here, so would we need only one of these before the pump filter (coming out of pool) or after the heatpump (going back in)? Or two one on each line?

Only need one, it is a total of 9 square inches to bond the water and I would put it after the filter or heatpump on the pressure side..

You can do 4 wires coming out of the concrete that are each connected to the rebar and then run a copper cable around it to connect to each.. or you can run it inside the concrete attached to the rebar in the 4 corners and have the 2 ends come out at 1 spot and run to your pad, that is the way I will do it..

no, you and the pool will be standing on the pad so it will all be bonded.. Once you bond the water and all the equipment its all good :)

Just thinking about this.. that concrete pad is going to have some massive weight on it... You know that pool will weigh about 125,000 pounds or over 62 tons...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.