Intex owners, trim your pool!

beggehorn

Sep 14, 2015
Azusa, CA
Now on our third (and last) Intex pool, I wanted to share a tip I found that can really help keep these pools trouble free. While balanced and properly sanitized water along with regular cleaning are the obvious first steps, I discovered a problem area in these pools where algae can form and hide when there is a slip or error in the pool care regimen.

In all the Intex pools I've owned, I've found a flap of extra vinyl around the bottom (where the wall meets the floor) and sometimes along the seams that run across the floor that can range from almost non-existent up to almost two inches wide. I remember one experience where the pool wasn't responding to treatment until I happened to find this flap and pull it away from the wall. While the rest of the pool was spotless, I found live (and dead) algae hiding out of sight. It is my opinion that the flap created just enough of a seal to prevent ample circulation and also clearly prevents a vacuum or brush from reaching it.

On my last pool I took a pair of rounded scissors and donned with a snorkel, did my best to cut as much of the excess vinyl that I could. This year, when setting up a new liner, I filled the pool a few inches and found the job to be so much easier. Aside from not needing the snorkel ;), I found that being able to pull the edge of the vinyl towards me while trimming, allowed me to get the cut started and then glide around the edge trimming in one smooth motion. I think I ended up with no more that a half dozen long strips after trimming around the entire inside edge of my 16' round. The entire job took 10 mins or so.

I would highly recommend this procedure, though please proceed at your own risk and make sure to source scissors with a good cutting edge but with blunt tips.

Reactions: orbitup
Agree the wall flap is prime breeding ground for algae. I run a soft brush along the wall seam once a week usually. Takes couple minutes and gives me something to do when playing in the pool.
Ditto we have kids in the pool, so we brush and move the flap around all the time, I could definitely see the hidden issue for a pool with only floating adults or large size!

I would actually advise AGAINST trimming this off. It would be way too easy to cut too far and Boom! Hole that can't be repaired. I've owned 3 intex pools now, and a Summer Escapes and they are all like this, but regular brushing of the pool walls and into these seams like is supposed to be done and properly maintained chemical levels prevents any algae problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoolguyinCT
Slayher, The ACTUAL cause of rusting around soft sided pools is unbalanced and improper water chemistry and/or grass, plants and/or mulch around around the legs. This is actually the cause of rust on both soft and hard sided pools. Low PH and High Chlorine are the main causes of corrosion on metal parts of any pool. And plant matter and mulch around the legs just holds moisture and would cause rust quickly with perfect water chemistry. But, when the water being held in the plant matter or mulch is acidic because the Ph is too low, or has a lot chlorine(which translates to salt) and you've got a recipe for imminent failure. If using an SWCG, proper salt levels will not cause rust. Not in one season, or even two or three. But, too much salt in the water will, especially if one is not rinsing the pool off, top rails and legs, after every adventure in the pool, like you would do to your car in winter at the car wash with an undercarriage wash to keep your undercarriage from rusting.... So, Imagine, a soft sided (or any pool) owner having Too much salt in their water, and low Ph, with grass, weeds, and or mulch around the legs holding that water against the metal. Bye Bye pool.

Nope. Pool on a elevated concrete pad with a river rock surround (no plants within 3' of the pool legs) and chemistry meticulously maintained. I've also actually been maintaining salt levels between 2200 and 3000ppm (below the recommended 3200ppm).

The inside of the metal Ultra Frame pool supports are bare metal and any contact with moisture will result in quick corrosion. Water easily enters through the holes where the pins lock into the supports and begins the rusting process.

Back to the original topic... Trimming is easy when done as I described. Do it after filling a few inches and only with rounded scissors. Have you actually tried it? I have... very happy with the results and how easy it was to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vinyl trimming: Would one of those tools with a non exposed blade that is used to open cardboard boxes in shops work well here?

Rusting tubes: Why not get a few cans of clear lacquer or even just primer and spray inside each of the tubes before going about assembling the frame? It wouldn't hurt to try it, you could even put a few coats on if you had time. I am going to do that on my next AGP.

Slayher, The ACTUAL cause of rusting around soft sided pools is unbalanced and improper water chemistry and/or grass, plants and/or mulch around around the legs. This is actually the cause of rust on both soft and hard sided pools. Low PH and High Chlorine are the main causes of corrosion on metal parts of any pool. And plant matter and mulch around the legs just holds moisture and would cause rust quickly with perfect water chemistry. But, when the water being held in the plant matter or mulch is acidic because the Ph is too low, or has a lot chlorine(which translates to salt) and you've got a recipe for imminent failure. If using an SWCG, proper salt levels will not cause rust. Not in one season, or even two or three. But, too much salt in the water will, especially if one is not rinsing the pool off, top rails and legs, after every adventure in the pool, like you would do to your car in winter at the car wash with an undercarriage wash to keep your undercarriage from rusting.... So, Imagine, a soft sided (or any pool) owner having Too much salt in their water, and low Ph, with grass, weeds, and or mulch around the legs holding that water against the metal. Bye Bye pool.
Salt water is my culprit even after coating every metal leg & T joint...

I didn’t see these replies till now not sure why. Anyway, chlorine treated water is a huge issue for corrosion. I spent 18 years of my life in an environment where we meticulously measured for chlorine to make sure the components would last. A pH too low or too high will promote corrosion. That’s why AGPs y’all about all the layers of coatings they apply to ensure they last.
BTW my Coleman soft sided pool was buried on one side 3 ft deep. Those parts had no signs of corrosion where the sides the got splashed and doused in the pool water all the time only lasted 2 years.
That was my personal experience anyway

Reactions: bloodfromastone
just found this thread and ive been pondering trimming. i have not had any algea hide there, but i notice sand and dust gather in the little riffles formed. i will probably try trimming this year. but i was also contemplating gluing them down with vinyl glue prior to installation.

Interesting! I am currently SLAM'ing and had an OCLT that was way worse last night after doing a full vacuum that included pulling back the "flap" around the edge and vacuuming under it. It would totally make sense that algae could be hiding under there and I loosened/exposed it by manipulating the extra material.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.