Intex owners: did you leave yours up over the winter?

We are in Tennessee and we leave our Intex 12x24 pool up all winter. We have Fox Pool and Spa come out in early October to close our pool and put in chemicals to keep it from growing anything, they pump out part of the water, put a cover on it along with a pump that sits on top of the cover. After bad weather we go out and turn the electric pump on to clear the water off the cover. Then we schedule them to come back on April1st to reopen our pool for the Summer. They clean the pool,fill it back up, put the saltwater chemicals in and we are ready to swim.
We do check the water every two weeks or so. We take a sample to Fox and they give us a report on everything to do with our pool water. It is generally perfect and if not, they tell us exactly what to do.
Welcome to the forum!

I hope you decide to take control of your pool (and $$) yourself this season. At TFP we promote self testing / self maintenance.

There is no need for 'Winter Chemicals' & 'Saltwater Chemicals'.

I close and open my Ultra Frame myself every year, the only thing I use for either is chlorine.

I hope you will have a read through our Pool School, especially ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks for posting, nice to have you with us.

I live in SE Missouri. Middle of the woods. Leave it open year round. Check chemicals weekly. Run pump 1x per week. It's right outside our bedroom (window) and is nice to look at when it's 30 degrees outside with beautiful blue water. Plus, I'm too cheap to buy a cover. Chlorine lasts so much longer with the cold water vs 80 degree water and sunlight in the summer. Has worked for 8 years! BTW, not an Intex pool.

We have had no issues in Manitoba where it gets to -37. Been up for 3 winters now, no issues.

So glad I clicked through this thread "to see" what people are saying. There's lots of us Canadians here and just like a lot of Americans think we're all in igloos, I think all Americans don't know what winter REALLY is because it doesn't get cold south of the border. I know I'm wrong on that but still somehow my brain just doesn't think "snow" and U.S.A. in the same sentence. I've been to Hawaii and California too many times perhaps.....hahaha. This winter I should go to Idaho. That'll teach me.

Do you leave your pumps and solar stuff outside all winter after draining down or take them in out of the cold?

Reactions: JCofran
There is a whole thread on intex owners that left their pool overwinter and what they did. I contributed..I live in mid Virginia and we see temps as low as 2° for short periods and consistent temps below freezing during the winter. Mine has been up for 3 Winters now with no issues. Some people cover, some people don't. I cover with everything you would use for any above ground pool (pillow, cover, etc) But the rule in our yard is once the pool is covered it's a no touch zone. We keep deep water off with a siphon.

I have left mine up the last 4 years, never use a cover (I do not have trees) clean it out in the spring... Close when the water temp hits 45 degrees and open when it hits 45 degrees.. take water to slam levels before closing and add chlorine and brush once a month on a nice warm day and your water will be crystal clear in the spring, unless it is frozen solid then just wait till it thaws :)

I live in WNY and have key mine up the last4years with no real issues. I stain below the intake valve, dump loafs if chlorine in and close it up with a covert. All mechanics and houses get moved into the barn.

I have read the whole thread. I am confused about what chemicals people are putting in to close the pool. I have a Summer Waves 15x 42, I think, bought last summer. LOL. I know it is 4,500 gallons. I took it down completely last summer. That was a pain. I will not do that this time. I am going to drain it low enough to take all the hoses off and the pump off. I am going to buy a better and larger cover. I am just confused on what chemical I need to close it. I am in central NC if that part matters.

Hello,

We have left ours up and covered, only issue for us was baling water off of the cover/tarp from rain/snow, almost full day of baling water. Anybody want to share what they do to prevent this? 16 x 32 Intex, 52” tall.

Thanks for any ideas ? input!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our Intex pool was put up in 2014 in Northern Illinois. We have never had a leak, tear, or crack in the liner nor had rusting of the frame. WE followed some of the recommendations on here for proper setup such as sealing the exterior exposed metal parts with an oil put on the first year the pool was installed. We were very careful to level the ground, used sand under the pool area and believe that has led to our success. We also properly prepared the pool every fall by draining it about 6 inches below the lowest valve hole, using a pillow in the center and a decent winter cover. We have lots of trees so also use a leaf cover. We love the pool, it is 18 ft. round by 48", used by adults and has stood up very well. We fully expect it to last a minimum of 3 more years. We have added a new filter to keep it cleaner. We may have just bought an exceptional pool, but we are very pleased with the product. We have purchased Intex floatation devices over the years and have also had great success with them.

My concern is SNOW...in Colorado, definitely stays below freezing often & hopefully we get a lot of snow! We will drain below all inputs, keep pump inside.
Was considering a plywood cover attached to a frame of 2 x 4's (secured in the ground not just resting on half empty pool) and brush off when getting heavy.
Is this overkill, do we need to keep snow out of it??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.