Intex Krystal Clear sand/saltwater combo pump help needed

Jun 11, 2016
Lawrence , KS
OK, first please forgive my inexperience and no idea what I'm doing with pumps -- I'm sure learning a lot! I've posted before about my center hub pipe being broken and not being able to find the part or get the old pipe out so we can replace with PVC, so...since I've still got the paper filter cartridge in my original Summer Waves Elite set up (which is also broken and we're tired of replacing the ceramic rod in the motor), could I bypass the sand entirely by just hooking up the original filter to the Intex motor? Would I just go through the Intex skimmer basket and out through the (not working) saltwater cell port? I know that's not ideal but I'm just trying to get through another month of summer here and then will probably get new stuff next year if I can't get the right part. I just need to get my water moving! Please help! Thanks!

Attachments

• Intex motor.jpg
    Intex motor.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 12
  • original pump.jpg
    original pump.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 11
if you can get the connections connected together I am sure it will work... The hard part is connecting them all together :)
Well, we've already spent time and money buying all kinds of hoses and adapters, so I think I can do it. But it won't blow anything up or do anything bad? The motor basically just pumps it up and out to the sand canister, so it will just pump it out to the pool instead, right? Sorry I'm so clueless, but it just makes me nervous to try new setups on my own. And my husband is out of town and I just want to do it myself. 😃

it should not "blow" anything up and if one of the lines does come off just turn the pump off and start over :)

I think you can get it done yourself... post up some pictures if you need us to look at something.. But most of it will just be fitting..

1 from the pool to the pump
1 from the pump up to the filter
1 back into the pool

:)

Reactions: digidoggie18
it should not "blow" anything up and if one of the lines does come off just turn the pump off and start over :)

I think you can get it done yourself... post up some pictures if you need us to look at something.. But most of it will just be fitting..

1 from the pool to the pump
1 from the pump up to the filter
1 back into the pool

:)
OK, thanks! I'll go out now and give it a try and report back. Not 100% sure the motor is still working, so we'll see... 😃

• Love
Reactions: cowboycasey
Amazon and the intex website have adaptors that will allow you to attach store bought pool hose so you can set it up tthe way you like. Oh! the salt water port as you call it next to the basket is not an salt water generator but the E.C.O. The SWG would be after the sand filter in the intex system.

You have the same pump I have. IF you are wanting to bypass the rest of the system and just pump water or use another filter, you will need to run the pump in FP mode. This will allow it to run without the ECO and the SWG but will run 24/7. No you will not blow up the pump if you turn it on and no water is pumping. just shut it off right away, make your adjustments to the hoses and try again.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thank you both for helping me. I got it hooked up (there were leaks, but I could deal with those later), but the motor won't work. Put it in FP mode and it hums but never starts pumping. 😢 Not going to take the whole cover off and look at the motor, unless one of you knows an easy fix or reason why it might not be starting up. Thanks anyway!

Thank you both for helping me. I got it hooked up (there were leaks, but I could deal with those later), but the motor won't work. Put it in FP mode and it hums but never starts pumping. 😢 Not going to take the whole cover off and look at the motor, unless one of you knows an easy fix or reason why it might not be starting up. Thanks anyway!
The actual motor is not easy to get to and requires disassembly of not only the cover but the base as well.

Does it hum in the other modes as well?

You could pull the basket, then the cover for the pump impeller to see if anything is binding. At this point you can spin the shaft of the motor to see if it moves freely. If it does not well that is not good, and if it does then if it is a capacitor start motor the capascitor could be bad. At this point you will need to remove the housing to get a look at it.

The actual motor is not easy to get to and requires disassembly of not only the cover but the base as well.

Does it hum in the other modes as well?

You could pull the basket, then the cover for the pump impeller to see if anything is binding. At this point you can spin the shaft of the motor to see if it moves freely. If it does not well that is not good, and if it does then if it is a capacitor start motor the capascitor could be bad. At this point you will need to remove the housing to get a look at it.
Thanks, yes, hums in other modes. I think I will hold off on trying to take off the basket for now. I have a friend who may lend me a pump they're not using this weekend. After that I think it's just time to let this one go and invest in a new one. Hoping prices get back to normal next year! Thanks again for all your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.