Intex cs20110 pump failure, SWG with sand filter, need options

May 21, 2018
Greenville, wi
Hi all, I have an Intex 18’x52” ultra frame pool with 5e above listed pump. It’s only just starting it’s 3rd year, and the pump motor has failed. I replaced bearings, and within 30min, went from quiet to noisy, to not turning. My thoughts when I had the motor apart, was that the windings must heat up, as the inner surface of the outer windings (not sure of exact teams) was all scoured up. I think these must heat up/rub/wear and eventually freezes up.

Is is there a way to save the sand filter and salt water generator portion and add a new pump? I may only have the pool one or 2 more summers, kids are getting out of the pool phase. Don’t want to drop hundreds to keep it going, but would still like to use the pool this year. Any suggestions? Any way to wire up a separate pump, but still use existing swg and filter?

thanks for any info, direction.

I can't help you with the pump problem, but in the meantime keep your water clear and clean with simple plain, unscented, un-thickened, store brand house hold bleach well mixed in.

Use PoolMath to help with the amount.

Welcome to TFP too!

Maddie :flower:

Well, I think I have an idea. I have an older Hayward pump I had bought to run a heating system that really didn’t work, it’s been collecting dust the last couple of years. I’m thinking of opening up the Intex, and running the pump wiring out to the Hayward, need to check the specs, but might be able to set it up so the salt water generator still works on the timer along with controlling the pump, and still use the existing sand pump. Have to look into it some more, but it might work.

I think you can. It doesn’t all come in one piece, so no reason to think you can’t replace part of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.