Intex 12x24 Ultra Frame Winterizing - sides bowing concern

DebbievdH

Jun 16, 2020
Kentucky, USA
I’ve searched many threads and can’t find a similar question, so feel free to direct me if this has been answered elsewhere so I don’t waste anyone’s time.

This was our first summer with our Intex 12x24 ultra frame, therefore this is our first winterizing. We decided that we would keep it up year round as we have nowhere to store it, and didn’t want the hassle anyway, after years of taking down a much smaller round one each year in the past.

I know that Intex doesn’t recommend leaving it up, but there are plenty of threads showing that lots of people do leave it up with success, in much harsher climates than here in KY. We used the winterizing kit from InTheSwim, and we lowered the water to an Inch or 2 below the lowest side hole. (Which was a pretty significant drain). We removed all tubing, and brought in the salt water pump and sand filter. We put in a large pool pillow, and covered it with the heavy duty cover that came with the pool.

BUT...when it rains, and I assume when it snows, if it snows, the big puddles form around the edges and pull down the cover. We’ve added extra side holders and have so far fixed the gap problems, but I am super concerned about the bowing sides. Just like when originally filling the Intex, the sides bowed until full, of course it bowed again when lowering the water for the winterizing instructions. I feel like the extra weight of rainwater and snow will cause great stress on this sides. We are using a pool cover drain, but there are still times the water collects, and snow will be another problem.

So my question is specifically for Intex ultra frame owners who have winterized. Did you lower your water level like instructed, and did the sides bow, and did it matter? E24B1A59-6BFF-46B2-B4EF-41C030D5F27F.jpeg

Reactions: digidoggie18
After reading what other people did, I did not drain mine at all. I left all the water in it. Also, it looks like your cover it too tight. I let mine sit on the water (around the pillow) with plenty of slack. Mine is round but I was worried about the same thing, so that's why I didn't drain. The water seems to keep the sides sturdy.
This is my first year too, so hopefully other more experienced owners will post some advice.

Thanks Woodstock1234. I wish someone would join in. I am concerned my cover is too tight, but if I let it down much, I’m concerned it will slip inside with any weight at all and let stuff into the pool. We still have leaves coming down. I’m wondering if we should just cover it with a much larger tarp so there is no pulling. I’d love pictures of what other people do with these rectangular framed Intex pools.

I have a 16x32 like yours just bigger, this is my 6th year closing and I do not cover anything until this year.. This year I bought a screen to show video on for Halloween and I used it to cover the pool.. I bought the 20x30 one and it is about 1 foot short on the long side but covers 98% of the pool... I will get pictures tonight and post them.. mine is laying on the water.. your cover should also be laying on the water, not tight, do not try to keep it off as there is no way to accomplish that... the water on top will always win the battle and your cover will lose..

I do not empty the pool, this year I used bungee plugs but I also have hard 2 inch pvc pipe... I think you could use the winterizing plugs below but I am just not sure if it will stop the flow of water as it is made for a hard plastic... maybe you could try it, 23 dollars for 3 of them and if it works great, even if it loses some water it will not be bad... then you can fill your pool back up and not worry about the legs...

This is my first year with our 12x24 as well, we had a 16' round, and the equal side pressure was better on the round..

for mine, I had a BIG tarp, like 30 x 20 or something like that... I will see if i can get on my phone and take a picture

I have 2 pool pillows, 1 large inflatable (use to be a hotdog but the seams popped on the bun part, now just a big oval haha), The intex cover, and then the tarp, with a rope between the holes of the tarp, and tent stakes from harbor freight holding the tarp down...

I still have some low spots, so i am sure i will need to pump out at times

This is my first year with our 12x24 as well, we had a 16' round, and the equal side pressure was better on the round..

for mine, I had a BIG tarp, like 30 x 20 or something like that... I will see if i can get on my phone and take a picture

I have 2 pool pillows, 1 large inflatable (use to be a hotdog but the seams popped on the bun part, now just a big oval haha), The intex cover, and then the tarp, with a rope between the holes of the tarp, and tent stakes from harbor freight holding the tarp down...

I still have some low spots, so i am sure i will need to pump out at times
20201201_141115.jpg

Attachments

• 20201201_141107.jpg
    20201201_141107.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 25
Floor guy, I really like your border and the rock. It looks very nice. It looks like you didn’t lower the water level much. Did you? I’m curious because we did and I am second guessing myself. If we make it through this winter, I believe we’ll plug the holes and keep the water level up next year. The bowed sides really concern me.

Floor guy, I really like your border and the rock. It looks very nice. It looks like you didn’t lower the water level much. Did you? I’m curious because we did and I am second guessing myself. If we make it through this winter, I believe we’ll plug the holes and keep the water level up next year. The bowed sides really concern me.
I drained just below the outlet/inlet holes (as thats what I have seen should be done in my research) I would love to keep it more full, I just worry about water getting behind them and splitting things.

Thanks for the kind words.. I went a little to deep on the rocks hahah.. i was planning on about 2" just enough for them to "lock" into each other over time... but my math was WAY off, and its 4-6" with some left out front hahahaha.. Though I like the rounded river rock, easy on the feet (not for me, I hate bare feet haha) but the extra deep walking is not as easy as hard soil... BUT I wont have to worry about mud, or water issues hahah

Reactions: digidoggie18

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.