Intex 12x24 sand filter issue on initial setup?

ralldredge8173

Jun 25, 2021
Buckeye, AZ
Hello, I’ve recently set up a sand filter with salt water system for my new intex above ground pool. I went to do the initial backwash and nothing was coming out of the drain. Pressure reads 0, I don’t feel any suction at all at the inlets. I’m frustrated that no water is coming out. Pump makes lots of noise, but there is just no water at all.

So, when I read the instructions it was to open then shut the plunger valves, open to allow air to clear and then shut them “finger tight” after that. I’ll open them again tomorrow when I’m off work, but from what I remember is that when they were open, water just kept flowing out the backwash and did t stop.

So I opened the valves up again today and same thing… the filter basket has water, but doesn’t empty. It doesn’t suck either even with it open, just a bunch of water flying out the back of the drain port? I’m confused as to what is going on… if I open the plungers, water comes out regardless of what I do, whether the pump is turned off or on.

We really need to see your set up. It sounds like you have it set on Backwash, Rinse or Waste.

So, I decided to try what you are saying and it looks like the pump actually is working and flowing. I realized it flows even without the pump on as being normal. I installed a 50’ backwash hose to get the water away from my pump and chlorinator. Then I noticed a small leak at the top of the filter tank and realized it wasn’t seated properly. So I took the whole thing apart, dumped out the sand, repositioned the center pipe, refilled and started over again. It’s working beautifully! Thank you for your help and patience!!

Reactions: PieterS
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.