Intex 12x24 new install - Dropping 1 foot into ground

May 27, 2020
New Hampshire
Like most of the world we have purchased a 12x24 Intex Ultra XTR for the backyard. In an effort to lower the sight line of the pool surface (for safety and aesthetics) I am planning to excavate down a foot on level ground, then install the pool. Does anyone have experience with backfilling the void once the pool is installed? I am going to prep the area with stone dust and I’m considering foam insulation boards on top of that. Can that void then be back filled with sand? I am planning to leave the pool up and winterize it so it will not come down every year.

I’ve seen a couple of those, but they go well beyond my skill level (and monetary investment). I was hoping to get the pool set up and filled, then backfill the void with sand or stone dust to level the area. I have found advice and videos of people framing it out, then decking to the side of the pool, but I can’t find anything about filling sand against the filled pool. I’d love some thoughts or suggestions. I’ll include some pictures as the project progresses.

I’ve seen a couple of those, but they go well beyond my skill level (and monetary investment). I was hoping to get the pool set up and filled, then backfill the void with sand or stone dust to level the area. I have found advice and videos of people framing it out, then decking to the side of the pool, but I can’t find anything about filling sand against the filled pool. I’d love some thoughts or suggestions. I’ll include some pictures as the project progresses.
If you fill the void with something and ever have to drain the pool I would think the whole thing would cave in.

As I look at the ground excavation in the backyard, I’m starting to realize that the stone dust base layer with foam insulation board on top is going to only leave a few inches depth between ground level and the leg support pavers. I’m guessing between 6 and 8 inches at most. I’m going to reevaluate once the pool goes up. Thanks for the responses so far. This forum is great. As a brand new pool owner, I’ve learned a lot and really appreciate the advice

Reactions: sammckin
Why the stone dust base? Just curious. I saw an install where they put dirt back against the wall of an intex, but I've not seen sand. (there wasn't a follow up on the video though so I don't know how it turned out for the person) I read a post where a person wrapped the pool in foam and then back filled with dirt. He wrapped the pool to keep the dirt off the pool. I'd make sure you have drainage in that hole if your ground doesn't drain well. You don't want water (rain, splash out) pooling around the base of the pool. Are you building a deck on one side? Asking bc if you aren't, you need to think about how you're going to get in and out of the pool since the ladder that comes with the pool is the same length on both sides. I"d be interested to see your build.

The stone dust ended up as the base under the insulation because the guy I had doing the excavation brought it and laid it down. No other real reason. The ground is fairly level to begin with and the runoff is fine so I’m not worry about drainage or pooling. We very rarely have standing water in the yard, and I only refrain from using the word never so it doesn’t come back to bite me. I’d love a deck or at least risers to the pool, but have to convince the wife first. As of now we have room to set the ladder level with the pool bottom in the excavated hole.

unfortunately I made a new guy mistake when I had him excavate. The dimensions to the outside of the legs said to go an extra foot and 10 inches for length and width so I added 2 feet. I started to install the 8 x 16 x 4“ pavers under the legs and realized the base was too small. With the legs centered on the side by side pavers, I’m a half foot short. So I’ve been doing a lot a digging (including the room for the ladder).

I have generally the same setup. Mine is recessed about 2.5 feet, I think. I have no pics right now, but can send you some tomorrow. We built a retaining wall around the pool, then the deck over. To keep the hole from filling up with water, we installed plastic sheathing on the deck frame kind of tapered so that it would drain. I’m going to add gutters for it to all drain into once the deck is complete so that I can direct the water.

I would love to see some pictures! Now that the pool is up, we have been looking at different options for a deck off one side. I’m also thinking about an angled wall around the rest to keep the water away from the hole. We are really just excited to be able to dream about the options while swimming in the pool. Thanks for sharing ideas and pictures.
As you can see in the pictures, it’s only recessed down about 8-12 inches, but it lowered it just enough to see across the top of the pool from the kitchen and anywhere in the backyard.

Attachments

• 933911C5-4324-4F5E-938A-DB151CEF7E85.jpeg
    933911C5-4324-4F5E-938A-DB151CEF7E85.jpeg
    740.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 44FE511A-B426-42B0-B107-6D08DEF4B222.jpeg
    44FE511A-B426-42B0-B107-6D08DEF4B222.jpeg
    707.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 8419DF5D-AB2E-4324-9E62-BB2E52ADB851.jpeg
    8419DF5D-AB2E-4324-9E62-BB2E52ADB851.jpeg
    742.8 KB · Views: 50
  • FF400662-3C46-430C-B50D-70B59A1EAA33.jpeg
    FF400662-3C46-430C-B50D-70B59A1EAA33.jpeg
    760.2 KB · Views: 45
Like most of the world we have purchased a 12x24 Intex Ultra XTR for the backyard. In an effort to lower the sight line of the pool surface (for safety and aesthetics) I am planning to excavate down a foot on level ground, then install the pool. Does anyone have experience with backfilling the void once the pool is installed? I am going to prep the area with stone dust and I’m considering foam insulation boards on top of that. Can that void then be back filled with sand? I am planning to leave the pool up and winterize it so it will not come down every year.
The stone dust ended up as the base under the insulation because the guy I had doing the excavation brought it and laid it down. No other real reason. The ground is fairly level to begin with and the runoff is fine so I’m not worry about drainage or pooling. We very rarely have standing water in the yard, and I only refrain from using the word never so it doesn’t come back to bite me. I’d love a deck or at least risers to the pool, but have to convince the wife first. As of now we have room to set the ladder level with the pool bottom in the excavated hole.

unfortunately I made a new guy mistake when I had him excavate. The dimensions to the outside of the legs said to go an extra foot and 10 inches for length and width so I added 2 feet. I started to install the 8 x 16 x 4“ pavers under the legs and realized the base was too small. With the legs centered on the side by side pavers, I’m a half foot short. So I’ve been doing a lot a digging (including the room for the ladder).

Attachments

• C9F83E31-AC30-4802-9E32-0669BEAECEF1.jpeg
    C9F83E31-AC30-4802-9E32-0669BEAECEF1.jpeg
    718.2 KB · Views: 22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hade to go down 21” at one corner. Luckily here in Nebraska I have a heavy clay soil so no need to compact much after excavation.

Attachments

• FA670C6E-C77B-4CC8-9C29-70798BEB911B.jpeg
    FA670C6E-C77B-4CC8-9C29-70798BEB911B.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 11
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.