Hchang

Sep 1, 2020
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m having trouble keeping chlorine levels up in my pool. During the winter I maintain my pool with 100% liquid chorine. But during the warmer months because of increased bather load, Texas sun, and my work schedule, I can’t add liquid chlorine every single day. So even though I know it’s not the TFP way, I do use chlorine tabs in my inline chlorinator to help keep a baseline of chlorine.

Normally this keeps some chlorine in the pool and I will adjust it with liquid chlorine every 2-3 days to keep my levels where I need them per Pool Math.

This summer I am having trouble maintaining chlorine levels. The chlorinator will be full with tabs and turned on to max and the chlorine will read zero or 0.5. My CC still also reads zero. Could I still have bacteria/algae eating up my chlorine? Should I slam the pool?

FC 0.5
CC 0.0
pH 8.0
TA100
CH 325
CYA 50

These readings are from a TF-100 test kit. Also I add muriatic acid at least once a week to try and keep the pH and TA lower.

Any help is appreciated!

I have no objections to using tabs on occasion as long as the pool owner understands the FC-CYA relationship and their current CYA level can handle it. You appear to understand that. :goodjob: Problem now however is that for whatever reason, your FC crashed and you may have an algae bloom in-progress. I would increase the FC to about 10 ppm right away with liquid chlorine and perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. I would be surprised if you pass the OCLY, but if you do great. If not, then yes, time for the SLAM Process.

As to why the FC crashed to begin with is hard to tell. Perhaps the inline has a problem with its feed, or the tabs simply couldn't dissolve fast enough to keep up with the sun & heat. It's hot!

I have no objections to using tabs on occasion as long as the pool owner understands the FC-CYA relationship and their current CYA level can handle it. You appear to understand that. :goodjob: Problem now however is that for whatever reason, your FC crashed and you may have an algae bloom in-progress. I would increase the FC to about 10 ppm right away with liquid chlorine and perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. I would be surprised if you pass the OCLY, but if you do great. If not, then yes, time for the SLAM Process.

As to why the FC crashed to begin with is hard to tell. Perhaps the inline has a problem with its feed, or the tabs simply couldn't dissolve fast enough to keep up with the sun & heat. It's hot!
Thank you for the feedback! I will try your suggestion!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.