Intermatic or other surge protector

I am doing a large landscaping project which will have a hot tub and an above ground pool with filter/pump and heater. Also I will be running 50 amps to a trailer hook up. Obviously I want to protect this expensive equipment. Is a surge protector recommended? If so, what kind/brand? The intermatic PS3000 gets good reviews and seems very inexpensive for what it promises. Is this the way to go or is there another better option?

I am likely having to install a second breaker box next to my main box, to handle all of the above. So if I want to add surge protection, now is the time to do it.

Thanks!

poolshrinker
I have this SPD on both my main panel and pool load center.
I like the very bright green light. I never have to go out and check on it.
I can see the light in the SPD mounted on the load center from the house.

Please contact me if you want to see how it looks mounted.
Thanks...
r.

Do you mean you have one unit for both boxes, or one for each box? I am getting a quote of $500 installed for the whole house surge. I have to talk with the electrician to understand if it is this Siemens unit or another he is proposing. I have read some mixed things about surge protectors online but don’t pretend to have any expertise here. Some sources say these are pretty useless, others say they are essential. Aside from the above pool and spa equipment, we have the usual array of computers and TVs and appliances plus household heat pump so if there is some value in this, we can and will do it.

Do you mean you have one unit for both boxes, or one for each box? I am getting a quote of $500 installed for the whole house surge. I have to talk with the electrician to understand if it is this Siemens unit or another he is proposing. I have read some mixed things about surge protectors online but don’t pretend to have any expertise here. Some sources say these are pretty useless, others say they are essential. Aside from the above pool and spa equipment, we have the usual array of computers and TVs and appliances plus household heat pump so if there is some value in this, we can and will do it.
poolshrinker
Yes. I have one SPD on my main house circuit breaker panel and I have another identical Siemens SPD, mounted on my pool equipment load center. I also have what I think is a quality and effective SPD on my incoming cable line.

My thinking on the topic of whether or not they are effective is this. Like many things, I think that you "get what you pay for". I took a lot of time researching all of the popular or "main stream" SPD's. I dug into specifications, other literature, reputation, reviews, etc, etc. When my research was all said and done, the Siemens was #1 on my list and so that is the path that I choose.

In my opinion, they are sort of like an insurance policy. You may never need it but if you ever do, you may be very glad you have it. :p
Thanks for the great questions!
Take care and all the best...
r..

Reactions: poolshrinker
I have a non-fused safety disconnect for my pool equipment. I am upgrading to a Pentair 011028 Intelliflo VS pump and want to add a surge protector as extra insurance for the new pump. I purchased the PS3000 and was going to install it on the non-fused safety disconnect that feeds the pool equipment. Any issues with doing do so or should I put it on the sub-panel that feeds the disconnect? The sub-panel is about 35 feet away from the disconnect but in finished area of the basement that may make it difficult to install. If put on the sub-panel, does it need its own breakers or can I wire it into the 20 amp double pole GFCI breaker that feeds the safety disconnect?
Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.