adrian300

Sep 27, 2021
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Intelliflo VSF pump has about 2-3 inches of air in the system when running at a medium RPM. So far I've troubleshot the following:

- Skimmer is clear of debris and flowing properly
- Pool water is sufficently high
- Wier is moving correctly
- Tight seal on see through lid
- Replaced o-ring
- All unions on suction side are thoroughly sealed
- Impeller is free of debris

My question: the filter is pretty old. Could this cause the priming issues?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: While in the majority of cases air in the system is an indication of a suction side air leak getting "in", there are times where a filter obstruction (really dirty) can impede good flow and cause a similar issue. It happens to me. You certainly can clean the filter and see if that helps. But if it doesn't, be sure all those O-ring back on the suction side are well lubed. It only takes on bad seal.

is this new or has it always had 2 to 3 inches of air?

Does the air bubble go away when it is first started and priming?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: While in the majority of cases air in the system is an indication of a suction side air leak getting "in", there are times where a filter obstruction (really dirty) can impede good flow and cause a similar issue. It happens to me. You certainly can clean the filter and see if that helps. But if it doesn't, be sure all those O-ring back on the suction side are well lubed. It only takes on bad seal.

Thank you! I cleaned out the filter but the issue persisted. It is a pretty old filter though, looks to be fraying a bit. I purchased a new lid cover, and a new o-ring and lubricant, but that hasn't helped.

is this new or has it always had 2 to 3 inches of air?

Does the air bubble go away when it is first started and priming?
I just purchased the house a few weeks ago, but since I've been here it has always had 2 to 3 inches of air while running. The air bubble doesn't go away as long as the pump is running. Once the pump stops, the chamber fills back up with water.

I would say you have a suction side air leak.. They are the hardest to find but can be found.. try using a hose and spray water on the pipe or anything coming up to the pump... hold the water in 1 place for at least a minute to se if the air goes away...

I would say you have a suction side air leak.. They are the hardest to find but can be found.. try using a hose and spray water on the pipe or anything coming up to the pump... hold the water in 1 place for at least a minute to se if the air goes away...

Thanks. Tried this yesterday but couldn't find anything. Could the leak be underground? Seems unlikely that it would be drawing air underground.

I spoke with the pool guy who worked on the pool before I purchased, and he just said "that is a condition of that pool" which I don't really like the sound of.

It can be anywhere from the skimmer to the pump. The old poly pipe was used a LONG time ago so the leak could be anywhere... Sounds like he has know about the leak for a while and the old owners just lived with it....

Cowboycasey asked if the bubble goes away when starting up. I might also ask if it goes away when the pump is running at full speed. In other words, at 3450rpm do you still have a bubble?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.