Intelliflo, Solar Touch Controller, and AutoPilot Setup?

I am having solar panels installed this month and I'm trying to figure out how to correctly setup everything.

I will be using a Pentair Intelliflo 011018 pump, Pentair Solar Touch controller for the solar panels, and an AutoPilot Digital 220.

From what I understand, the Solar Touch controller will control the Intelliflo based on heating/cooling set points which could start, stop, or adjust the speed of the pump at any time. I know the AutoPilot has a built in safety feature that only allows it to operate when there is flow. However, I would prefer not to solely rely on this safety feature for daily use. Also, because the Solar Touch controller will have various run times based on the time of year, it seems as though I would always be chasing the SWG output setting.

This is what I was thinking...

Wire the Intelliflo to constant power, wire the Solar Touch to control the Intelliflo, and setup the AutoPilot on an external timer or internal timer if there is one.

Any input would be great!

That is exactly what I have done.

Intelliflo wired to the breaker and set to run at 1100 rpm as a standby for solar and enough flow to operate my SWG. The Solartouch will ramp the Intelliflo up to 1950 rpm when turning on solar and back to 1100 when solar turns off. The SWG is wired to its own timer and set to run inside the window that the pump is running.

For me the pump runs 24x7 in spring and fall for maximum skimming of leaves and tree debris because we have lots of trees. In spring and fall before/after the trees are finished the pump is off at night to reduce overnight cooling and is on from 7a or 8a to 8p or 9p depending on sunrise and sunset. During summer I run solar at night to cool the pool so everything is reversed. Pump on 9p or 10p and off at 8a or 9a. I then run the SWG for 6-8 hours inside those pump runtime windows. Be sure to sync up the times on the pump and the timer because the Intelliflo will retain time during a power outage and the timer won't. So, I always leave 30-60 minutes of buffer time on start and stop. i.e. pump on at 8a and SWG on at the 9a. Then SWG off 5p and pump off at 6p, etc.

The Autopilot does have internal timer program which can trigger a relay (internal or external) at the selected times, which could be connected to the power to run a single or dual speed pump. That is what is documented in their manuals. There is a way to make it work with some variable speeds.

For your intelliflo there is the connection that is used to connect to external control/automation - pinout below
intelliflovs.jpg

So you could program a speed, say #1, with the speed you want it to run when the AutoPilot is running. You could connect the AutoPilot's internal relay to pins 3-4 as they do allow up to 240VAC per the Itelliflo manual.

So this would force the pump to run at that speed when the autopilot is scheduled internally, and that relay is selected in the menus.

This method even works for VS pumps that require a low voltage input, like the superflo vs, by using the optional external relay, as you can provide it with the low voltage lines to switch.

edit - put diagram in, didn't post 1st time

I don't think you can do above and connect to the Solartouch since there is only one communication cable.

Not an issue, as the SolarTouch uses the RS-485 part of the cable (pins 11/12). The direct speed selection wires are available. Would need to slice the cable to go to both components.

Which cable do I need to buy to connect the solar tocuh and intelliflo?

I am having solar panels installed this month and I'm trying to figure out how to correctly setup everything.

I will be using a Pentair Intelliflo 011018 pump, Pentair Solar Touch controller for the solar panels, and an AutoPilot Digital 220.

From what I understand, the Solar Touch controller will control the Intelliflo based on heating/cooling set points which could start, stop, or adjust the speed of the pump at any time. I know the AutoPilot has a built in safety feature that only allows it to operate when there is flow. However, I would prefer not to solely rely on this safety feature for daily use. Also, because the Solar Touch controller will have various run times based on the time of year, it seems as though I would always be chasing the SWG output setting.

This is what I was thinking...

Wire the Intelliflo to constant power, wire the Solar Touch to control the Intelliflo, and setup the AutoPilot on an external timer or internal timer if there is one.

Any input would be great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.