Intellichem injector valve failure.

Hello All,

I am a longtime reader but first time poster. I recently purchased intellichem system with an acid pump and did the install myself. Plumbing and electrical work is common knowledge to me so the installation went pretty smoothly. I spent the next few days adjusting the system settings to get my water chemistry right which was pretty straightforward. After 4 days of use the acid injector failed. It looks to me like plastic just melted away. See attached pic. The result was acid being pumped all over my equipment pad and my pool equipment. As soon as I found the mess I neutralize all the acid with baking soda as best as I could. But this leaves me feeling very unconfident in the use of this check valve. I'm just glad I was around when this happened and not away for the week. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same failure of the acid injector. I have also contacted Pentair tech support and they are sending me a new part but this doesn't ease my concerns.
Maybe there is a suitable replacement part other than the Pentair part that people are using please let me know.

Ron

Attachments

• 20190903_172823.jpg
    20190903_172823.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190903_172847.jpg
    20190903_172847.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 28
Were you using muriatic acid?

The pictures are very blurry on close up view. Can you post better images?

Call pentair, there was a bad batch of plastic that was in circulation. I had about 10 injectors that basically melted and dumped acid everywhere, lucky they only melted at the top and not inside or i would of had some pools the went empty. Pentair is aware of it and will send you a new one.

Those are the only picture I have at the moment, I'll try to post better ones later today.

I have called Pentair and should have parts soon. I can't believe you went through 10 of these before getting a good one.
How long ago was this?
Did you have any additional acid damage?

It was any intellichem purchased since March 1st of this year, Im a service manager for a pool builder, thats why I had 10, luckily not more

from my distribution:

If you have purchased the following Pentair Intellichem items since March 1st, 2019, we are contacting you to because they may contain a faulty injection check valve prone to melting.
  • 522621 - Controller and Acid Tank with Tank Mounted Pump
  • 522622 - Controller and Acid and Chlorine Tanks with Tank Mounted Pump
  • 522577 - IntelliChem Commercial System 1 Pump
  • 522578 - IntelliChem Commercial System - 2 pumps
A replacement check valve, part number 522513Z, is now available for these items, which we can send to you at no charge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.