tfandango

Jan 21, 2022
Norman, Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm trying to figure out if this is a solvable problem or not. I am brand new to all of this. Last night I tried to heat up the spa for an hour or so but it is cold out and the IntelliCenter freeze-protection clicked on after 15 min. That does 2 things: turns off the spa/heater, and pumps a bunch of cold pool water into it. I was confused at first why the heater quit so I restarted the spa/heater and it started to heat up again (5 degrees down from where it was). 15 min later the same thing happened and I decided to give up on the idea and let everything ward off the freeze. So it seems I can't heat the spa up when temps are below freezing currently. But I also don't want the pool freezing up :)

What I'd really like to be able to do is disable freeze-protection for an hour or something while the spa is in use, then have it come back on when done. Possible? What do people do when it's cold outside like this? Thanks!!!

There is a selection to override the freeze protection when using the spa in conditions where freeze protection is active. I don't recall how exactly, I just remember seeing it once.

From the IC users guide, page 59...

Freeze Protection: Freeze Protection ON, switches on all circuits during, if the
outdoor air temperature sensor detects the temperature is getting close to
freezing (36°F). The system cycles through all circuits that have been assigned
freeze protection, and runs the circuits to stop the pipes from freezing. This is
especially important if there is a pool and spa combination. If freeze protection
is set to both the spa and pool circuits, the filter pump switches on and the pool
and spa valves alternate to keep the water moving in both the pool and spa. This
process continues until the freeze condition is over.
Note: Freeze protection is activated when the air temperature drops to 36°F. If
the spa is running a schedule or operated manually, this will override freeze
protection. During freeze protection, FREEZE PROTECT ACTIVE is displayed on the
Home screen.

--Jeff

Hey Jeff. Thanks for the info! I should have probably RTFM before posting :)

So for posterity, it seems like I was overriding freeze protection, just not for very long. But I found this on page 88:

Spa Freeze Override Time (min): Set the Spa pump freeze override time from 0 to 240 (mins. - 4 hours). This feature overrides the spa pump circuit that has freeze protection active. This allows you run the pump and heat the spa during freezing temperatures. For more information about using the spa during freeze conditions, see page 12

So it looks like I will have to get into some advanced settings to find these delay settings, but I bet it is set at 15 min. Thanks again!

Ha! No worries!

It isn't terribly obvious how to do it. I think I was messing around with the outdoor panel one night during freezing weather is how I found it. Completely by accident.

I don't want to be in the hot tub when it is that cold outdoors anyway, so I have no use for it! LOL

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.