Silver Supporter
Jul 3, 2020
West Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi - After reading much on TFP and having been dumping $$$ in chlorine all summer, I have decided to go with an SWG. I was thinking of going with the Hayward W3AQR15. I have a 16,000ish gallon pool and this is a 40K gallon Cell, but it is actually cheaper on Amazon right now that the 25K cell system. Also have questions on my set up, so here are all my questions:
  1. Does it matter if the Cell is 40K gallons and my pool is 16K gallons? If not, are the 25K gallon cells the same size so I can buy that as a replacement down the line when I need one?
  2. I am the second owner of the house - how can I know if I have any copper lines?
  3. I have a copper heater - is that a problem?
  4. I plan on installing the SWG cell in an upright/vertical position (yellow highlight) in the picture below
  5. Plan on installing the flow meter on the bottom horizontal section - highlighted in blue/purple in the picture
  6. Plan on installing a sacrificial anode in the horizontal section just before the heater - highlighted in red in the picture
  7. When installing the controller - seems like it needs to be connected to a timer to turn it on and off when the pump is running - so that is not the job of the flow meter (is the flow meter a protective thing/failsafe?)
  8. Is this really as easy as it sounds - a few PVC cuts, hang the controller and make the electrical connections?
Thank you for all of your help!

Future.jpegCurrent.jpeg

It is not an issue to have a larger capacity cell. In fact it is recommended to have double the capacity of your pool, so you are good on that. While I am not a SWCG expert, I did install mine this year and I think what you have proposed will work with no issues, but the experts will be by to comment soon. Ideally you want the controller wired to the same timer as the pump so it goes on and off with it. The flow switch is a last resort to cut the cell power if it detects no flow. I don't think you need an anode.

Hey Skurz and belated Welcome !!

1). Nope. Bigger cell = less runtime = longer lifespan to reach 8k-10k hours of use. The same brand is usually interchangeable with different ratings.

2). Defer to experts and need more info about age and style of pool.

3). Defer to experts again.

4). Upflow is good but it shouldn’t matter with a separate flow switch. If it’s internal in the unit then upflow is the only way.

5) good spot.

6). General consensus is the anode only helps you sleep at night. But if it helps you sleep at night it’s cheaper than going to the Dr and copays on your prescriptions for sleeping meds.

7). Also correct. You are nailing these !! Flow switch is a backup/failsafe. The primary safety is a timer. The flow switches are pretty chintzy and fail often. Often enough to matter? Why risk it ?

8). Yup that’s it, but it’s still easier to *say* PVC is easy than to do it if you aren’t handy. YouTube the snot out of other people’s installs and you’ll get a feel if you can tackle it. We can guide you along also if you go for it.

Reactions: PullJunkie
What 'Dude and James said.. skip the anode.. everything else looks good! With a VSP, you'll need a separate timer to power the SWG controller within the run schedule of the pump. I'm not sure how your current control box is mounted.. but I mounted my SWG controller on the same post as my pool control box.. I just extended the post.

Thank you all for your help!
  • Yes, I have a timer that is connected to my heater - which I don't really use because I got a solar cover and the pool heats to 92 on its own. It was connected to my old pool pump, but I switched to a variable speed with its own timer years ago. I was figuring I would just connect the SWG controller to that - just need to check for voltage.
  • Was thinking of just mounting the SWG controller to the wall of the house
  • The cell would be mounted vertically with the flow going downward, then over to the flow meter and then underground to the pool returns
  • The anode was just because I was nervous - being new to SWG. I also heard of zinc discs you put in the skimmer basket
  • I am surprised that the SWG controllers don't have a simple timer built in - doesn't seem like it would be difficult or expensive
  • And yes NewDude - always easy until you get it done!

Hi - After reading much on TFP and having been dumping $$$ in chlorine all summer, I have decided to go with an SWG. I was thinking of going with the Hayward W3AQR15. I have a 16,000ish gallon pool and this is a 40K gallon Cell, but it is actually cheaper on Amazon right now that the 25K cell system. Also have questions on my set up, so here are all my questions:
  1. Does it matter if the Cell is 40K gallons and my pool is 16K gallons? If not, are the 25K gallon cells the same size so I can buy that as a replacement down the line when I need one?
  2. I am the second owner of the house - how can I know if I have any copper lines?
  3. I have a copper heater - is that a problem?
  4. I plan on installing the SWG cell in an upright/vertical position (yellow highlight) in the picture below
  5. Plan on installing the flow meter on the bottom horizontal section - highlighted in blue/purple in the picture
  6. Plan on installing a sacrificial anode in the horizontal section just before the heater - highlighted in red in the picture
  7. When installing the controller - seems like it needs to be connected to a timer to turn it on and off when the pump is running - so that is not the job of the flow meter (is the flow meter a protective thing/failsafe?)
  8. Is this really as easy as it sounds - a few PVC cuts, hang the controller and make the electrical connections?
Thank you for all of your help!

View attachment 159495View attachment 159494
put it after the heater, Pentair is more user freindly, Jandy's Unit is a bit more easy to clean.

I am surprised that the SWG controllers don't have a simple timer built in - doesn't seem like it would be difficult or expensive
That's a really good idea. Not sure why manufacturers don't do this.

They should also be able to talk to any variable speed pump so that the pump can control the SWG based on if the pump is running or off.

Reactions: Skurzban

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Was planning on going with the Hayward AquaRite 40K gal system as it seemed easy and inexpensive (W3AQR15) at $1050 on Amazon, but I do have a Pentair VS pump and Pentair cartridge filter. The Intelichlor seemed to have 2 drawbacks: 1) increments of chlorination are 20% vs. 10% for Hayward and 2) Electronics are all on the cell so the replacement cell is more expensive. I have zero automation beyond the VS pump itself that has it's own timer.

Should I look at the Pentair EasyTouch for more control and integration with the VS pump? The AquaRite Pro that can integrate with the sense and dispense system or just keep it simple? Any thoughts on this are welcome.

You can set the Hayward to chlorinate in increments of 5%. I have the AquaRite Pro with the sense and dispense. As mentioned by other members while I was researching before purchase, the ORP sensor isn't the greatest. It does not sense chlorine levels, it uses the voltage, salt and other readings to calculate the ORP and you set the ORP level to generate chlorine. I actually have my ORP turned off and I have the chlorinator set to percentage because my cell reads way low salt levels and I believe that is affecting the ORP calculations. However it still works great set with a percentage for chlorination and the pH auto senses and dispenses CO2. I haven't had to manually adjust pH since I installed it.

Bonsey - thank you. I love tech and gadgets - so I appreciate the feedback on the Sense & Dispense. Sounds like it can raise pH but not lower it, or do you have the Muriatic dispenser too? My system is old school - even my variable speed pump is dumb. Not sure it's worth it to go high tech on one piece of equipment - thinking simpler may just be better. Been dumping liquid chlorine in all summer so any SWG should make it much simpler and maintenance free by comparison. Can you aqua rite pro control the pump too? If so, would it work with an inteliflow and does it still require being connected to a separate time like an Intermatic?

Bonsey - thank you. I love tech and gadgets - so I appreciate the feedback on the Sense & Dispense. Sounds like it can raise pH but not lower it, or do you have the Muriatic dispenser too? My system is old school - even my variable speed pump is dumb. Not sure it's worth it to go high tech on one piece of equipment - thinking simpler may just be better. Been dumping liquid chlorine in all summer so any SWG should make it much simpler and maintenance free by comparison. Can you aqua rite pro control the pump too? If so, would it work with an inteliflow and does it still require being connected to a separate time like an Intermatic?
It lowers pH, you will never really need to raise pH unless it is super low, because as a by-product of an SWCG, it raises pH on its own when generating chlorine. I chose the CO2 system because all I need is a 20lb can of CO2 which is available at almost any welding store or beverage store - same stuff you use in a kegerator or soda machine. I didn't want to mess around with a 15lb acid dispenser, but you could choose either. Both do the same thing - lower ph. I am not 100% sure if the basic Aquarite Pro can control a pump right out of the box, maybe with some upgrades? @JamesW might be able to answer that.

How does that work with a variable speed pump?

I can say how my setup is since it is an older system. Could be similar to the OP since his is an older system. My SWG is wired to the same mechanical timer as my pool pump. The original pump was single speed and I set it to come on and off by screwing the on and off doohickeys (technical term) to the mechanical timer. When the VSP was installed, it was installed to the same timer. Since I run my VSP 24 hours, I removed the on and off doohickeys from the timer. Now the only thing that turns the SWG on and off is the flow meter. I'm not too concerned since the VSP is operating all the time. If I have the desire to turn the VSP on or off completely, I would do it through the mechanical timer that will also turn the SWG on and off at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.