Installing Oval doughboy pool: help needed

JEBoregon

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2022
Portland, OR
We purchased a 32x16 doughboy desert spring and couldn’t find an installer so hired landscape company for the ground prep. Tan in to issues with drainage so they added French drains etc and then put down geo -textural landscape fabric and crushed 5/8 minus gravel, compacted over our clay soil. The company did the side supports and pressure pads but all of the ground is leveled to the height of the side support/pressure pad. We went to install the bottom rails and realized they will be floating! We have masonry sand ready to spread and level over the gravel and under the liner but not sure the best option for leveling around the oval bottom rails? Finer compacted gravel? D23B8B1E-97B4-491F-B257-652091235462.jpeg215C6491-6945-4E22-8DFE-BF4E0565C50B.jpeg

It looks like those uprights were supposed to be dug down more

Here’s the video
Click on oval & that part is about 9-10min in
Well compacted crusher run is the only acceptable way to build up the base.

Yes, the plates are correct
It looks like those uprights were supposed to be dug down more

Here’s the video
Click on oval & that part is about 9-10min in
Well compacted crusher run is the only acceptable way to build up the base.

Thank. That’s my worry, they didn’t dig down enough putting in the support posts but they have already cemented the support blocks so I’m unsure if we have to go backwards, (disturbing the ground more) or if we can move forward by adding the crusher run you referenced

Since u have the compacted crusher run already as your base u will just need to add to it - being extremely careful but still compacting it well especially near the already cemented uprights.
Make marks & run a string along the level the bottom track should be.
You want the bottom track resting on the compacted base/virgin ground not sitting on top of the sand - the sand goes inside the pool wall. There should be no gap. The sand cove (or any cove) is there to keep the liner from going between the bottom track/pool wall & the ground outside of the pool. The cove helps to evenly distribute the force from the many thousands of lbs of water. You don’t want the sand to be able to get washed out creating a gap for the liner to protrude.
If I am following correctly the metal plate things are at a different level correct?
This may still envolve shoveling after u level with the gravel.
I see alot of shoveling in your future 😩

Yes, those long plates are the pressure pads and they are meant to be covered after installing rather than remaining level with the pool base.
Is the 5/8 minus gravel we have and crusher run just different names for the same thing? Or is crusher run a different product?

We used compacted Class 5(what they make roads from) pool never moved in 27 years until took it down

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.