Installing Intermatic T104 timer for pool pump

I have recently decided to install a timer for our pool pump to replace the manual switch that was there before. I disconnected the old manual switch and installed the T 104 timer switch. I connected the 'hot wires' to line 1 and line 3 as instructed and the pump wires to load 2 and load 3 terminals. The manual override switch does turn the pump on, but the timer does not run when this override is off. It is wired from the breaker box at 220v. Also, the timer motor wires are connected to line 1 and line 3, which is the way it came in the box. Does anyone have any ideas as I'm at my wits end with this thing? All the wiring diagrams I've seen don't call for a neutral wire to terminal A, but would that help?

Thanks for the advice!

Pictures please !!

First off - The timer motor wires need to be connected to Terminals 1 and 3 (it is a 240V motor).

Is your Pump 120V or 240 ? If it is 240V - Connect it to Load 2 and Load 4 - NOT Line 3 ! If it is a 120V pump - then you need a Neutral from the panel to the switch , AND a connection from the panel AND the white / neutral wire from the pump need to be connected to terminal A. Check that there is 240V (or so) from Line 1 to Line 3, and also that there is 120V from both to neutral / ground.

This timer works by using silver and brass colored dogs - one is OFF and the Other is ON - and there is a minimum time of 15 minutes between changing states using the timer. The motor should be running all the time when there is power applied to the timer.

Wiring - circuit breaker => timer => (possible switch) => Pump. This is how mine is wired. The timer has it's own On/Off switch as well - the switch is out by my pump.

You can find additional dog sets either at Lowes Depot or online at Amazon, maybe some other online stores.

Hint - Leave this timer running all year round (even offseason ) - just remove the dogs and set the timer switch to off. If you do this, the motor will last practically forever. If you don't - you'll be replacing the timer motor in 2-3 years. Once a year (usually in the spring), I spray the gears with WD40 just so they get some lubrication. At 4 Watts running you will not go broke doing this.

Also - welcome to TFP, and please add your pool setup as your signature when you have problems / need some help. My sig is about what you need.

I too have the same timer. Now granted I am not an electrician but I can be instructed. I have a breaker box near my equipment. It is 220. I use the breaker to turn pump on and off. But would like to add this myself. I opened the box and see that there are 2 black wires from the pump to the breakers. One is solid black and the other is black and white. There is also a green wire from the pump going to a bar in the box. There is also a white wire from the breaker to a bar. Can you instruct me how to wire this timer. I’m thinking it can’t be too hard. Thanks

I too have the same timer. Now granted I am not an electrician but I can be instructed. I have a breaker box near my equipment. It is 220. I use the breaker to turn pump on and off. But would like to add this myself. I opened the box and see that there are 2 black wires from the pump to the breakers. One is solid black and the other is black and white. There is also a green wire from the pump going to a bar in the box. There is also a white wire from the breaker to a bar. Can you instruct me how to wire this timer. I’m thinking it can’t be too hard. Thanks

I think starting your own thread would catch more eyes but I'll let the Mod decide on that.
Not sure about your level of comfort working around with electricity. If you have a multimeter and able to work safely, then of course, you can DIY.

Below is the basic T104 wiring diagram. You would wire the timer in between the breaker and the pump. Do you think you can follow the circuit path or detailed instructions starting from turning off the breaker is required?

I am comfortable working around electricity.wasnt quite sure which wires are which. If the 2 black wires are the load 1 and lioad 2 is there a difference between them since one of them goes from black to white or is that just t tell them apart. Just needed to know when I disconnect the 2 black and the green from the breaker box that come from the where they go on the timer...I am assuming load 1 and load 2..and the green..would that be to the ground...and then do I cut 2 new black wires and go from the breaker to line 1 and line 2 on the timer. Then there is the white wire from the breaker to a bar on the breaker panel. Do I leave that there or move to the timer and where..thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.