Installing Glass Tile on Fiberglass Pool Hot Tub and Waterline Tile

Poolguy2021

Jun 2, 2021
Canada
So our coping was not done very well and we are now looking to possibly add glass waterline tiles to the Ultimate 40 due to a crack we found on the hot tub section (see yellow sticker showing where the crack is on the image).

We are most likely going ahead to use SIKATOP 623F to smooth out the rough areas underneath the coping. How do we ensure that the SIKATOP matches the pool coping colour? Is there any way to brighten the compound?

To add to that there is crack we recently found on our hot tub surface of the hot tub that needs to be covered (after it is fixed by Leisure Pools) to keep the warranty as the manufacturer requires/recommends that the coping/paver/tiles extend onto the hot tub surface. Leisure Pool suggest we either extend the coping, put pavers or add tiles.

This is the glass tile we are looking at it from DALTILE (has anyone used this brand before?):

Our pool was completed in 2020 so this is happening a year later. Looking for thoughts and comments. I did post before and have added more information.

How would you guys approach these issues? What should be done first? What products do you recommend? Thank you.

Attachments

• 118648460_637360793586458_4730496844384617988_n.jpg
    118648460_637360793586458_4730496844384617988_n.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 118651583_692754621316256_2904186184116556755_n.jpg
    118651583_692754621316256_2904186184116556755_n.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 118505712_336984134159309_3595430087333987709_n.jpg
    118505712_336984134159309_3595430087333987709_n.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 42
  • cq5dam.web.570.570.jpeg
    cq5dam.web.570.570.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 41
  • received_974737383293089.jpeg
    received_974737383293089.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 41
  • received_1436536213369805.jpeg
    received_1436536213369805.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210608_100501.jpg
    20210608_100501.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 42
I am sure of 1 thing.. You are in Canada and need to use tile made for pools.. Dal tile is not for pools and not for wet floors.. Please get a wet pool tile that has freeze thaw abilities...

There are many companies that sell them but most will only sell to companies to install them.. I had to go through a company that sells to us lowly civilians..

I know how to install tiles on concrete shell pools but it is completely different on fiberglass pools... I am not sure but look into using epoxy to install your tile, it is the strongest and will last the longest out of everything.. It is not easy to install..

This company has recommended tile for pools installs, this is only one company

this pdf shows what tiles can be installed in pools

go here and select those tile names

I would call them and ask how to install there tiles on a fiberglass pool, they will know exactly how and what to use if they recommend it at all...

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
I am sure of 1 thing.. You are in Canada and need to use tile made for pools.. Dal tile is not for pools and not for wet floors.. Please get a wet pool tile that has freeze thaw abilities...

There are many companies that sell them but most will only sell to companies to install them.. I had to go through a company that sells to us lowly civilians..

I know how to install tiles on concrete shell pools but it is completely different on fiberglass pools... I am not sure but look into using epoxy to install your tile, it is the strongest and will last the longest out of everything.. It is not easy to install..

This company has recommended tile for pools installs, this is only one company

this pdf shows what tiles can be installed in pools

go here and select those tile names

I would call them and ask how to install there tiles on a fiberglass pool, they will know exactly how and what to use if they recommend it at all...
Thanks I will check into it

The Dal Tile sales sheet says these glass tiles are for pools.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210628-075828_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210628-075828_Drive.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 4
I looked for that and I could not find it... As long as it says that you are good.. I just wanted to make sure you knew there are different types :)

Did your installer address any of these cracks?
I spoke to Leisure Pools. They will send someone to seal the crack but the advised that we need to put coping/pavers/tiles on the hot tub surface. So we are just now discussing/debating about what will look the best. We wanted white pavers but they are impossible to get these days, so the alternative may be to just do what we did with the pool coping and replicate that on the hot tub OR go with some nice glass tiles.

Leisure said:

"The coping is not covered under warranty and if we were to do a temporary fix in the near future it will not last very long. Therefore they need to be covered."

3. Exclusions to Structural Limited Warranty. The Structural Limited Warranty shall not apply in connection with any of the
following:
p) the coping (top edge around the perimeter of the Pool), which is not considered part of the Pool for Limited Warranty purposes
and which Leisure Pools recommends be covered with concrete, pavers, tiles or other suitable covering subject to applicable
conditions;

3. Exclusions to Surface Limited Warranty. The Surface Limited Warranty shall not apply in connection with any of the following:
(p) the coping (top edge around the perimeter of the Pool), which is not considered part of the Pool for Limited Warranty purposes
and which Leisure Pools recommends be covered with concrete, pavers, tiles or other suitable covering subject to applicable
conditions"

I would ague that your area is not the “perimeter of the pool“ since it is internal, but either way warrantees are almost completely useless if the company is not willing to act on them -

Reactions: Poolguy2021
Use Silicone. It is what is recommended for fiberglass pools. I installed my own waterline tile on my FG pool. I documented it here:

I had bought my tile and caulk from a company that advertised FG install kits. But it was just standard waterline tile and high quality 100% silicone. I would recommend that you use the same color to adhere the tile to the shell that you use for the grout so that you do not see any of the adhesion caulk. My kit had white for the adhesion and I choose grey for the grout. I ended up having to cut out chunks of the white before grouting so that it would not be seen. It's been nine years since I installed mine and it still looks good as new.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Use Silicone. It is what is recommended for fiberglass pools. I installed my own waterline tile on my FG pool. I documented it here:

I had bought my tile and caulk from a company that advertised FG install kits. But it was just standard waterline tile and high quality 100% silicone. I would recommend that you use the same color to adhere the tile to the shell that you use for the grout so that you do not see any of the adhesion caulk. My kit had white for the adhesion and I choose grey for the grout. I ended up having to cut out chunks of the white before grouting so that it would not be seen. It's been nine years since I installed mine and it still looks good as new.
Your project came out great.

Reactions: Poolguy2021

Laticrete and Mapei have great 100% silicone for pools and you can pick your color.. You are saying to use 100% silicone for thinset to apply the tiles and also 100% silicone for the grout... If so they should stay there forever as the whole area will be 100% waterproof.. I say forever but at sometime the silicone will start to give out but it will be over 10 years or so...

Mapei is better for the DIY :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Laticrete and Mapei have great 100% silicone for pools and you can pick your color.. You are saying to use 100% silicone for thinset to apply the tiles and also 100% silicone for the grout... If so they should stay there forever as the whole area will be 100% waterproof.. I say forever but at sometime the silicone will start to give out but it will be over 10 years or so...

Mapei is better for the DIY :)
Yes you use it for both and additionally I tied the top of my tile to the bottom of my coping with the caulk as well. Super watertight! :)

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.