Inspiration Wanted.....UPDATED with Pics added on page 2

Re: Inspiration Wanted.....

Great topic. I pick up my pool tomorrow night. We are installing a 15' round 52" high next to our existing deck this weekend. Just got the powers line moved this morning and pick up my permits yesterday (electrical and building). I plan on removing the center section of railing from our deck and making a set of steps to reach the pool. There will be a 2' height difference. We thought about sinking the pool in the ground to make it even but decided against that since it would be easier for my daughter to get into the pool in the yard while she is playing.

Keep posting the pictures, I love see the beautiful work others have done. I will post pic of my build as we do it this weekend.

Also what did all of you do to meet the pool barrier codes. We bought a door alarm for the patio door and a magna latch for the privacy fence. I would be interest to hear other ideas that meet code. Thanks.

On the indoor pool I actually did sink it to match the level of the door to the house. We dug, added gravel then sand and packed it with a machine. It was too deep so we added more sand to make it the right height. had to transit the leveling. after we added the sides and covered in tar paper it got backfilled with more sand to stablize it. The deck was added later.

amjohn,

I thought I had more pictures but here are a couple. My father-in-law drew up the plans and we used them as a guide, but in the end it ended up being more of a measure and cut process. Long and tedious, but I think worth it, althought he says he will never build a deck again.....

imalittleturt
The part of my pool that isnt surrounded by deck and therefore deck is considered code barrier because the wall is 4' and the ground slopes away from there. For my sliders, I bought a couple of door alarms and installed them. When the inspector came, he asked we had them, but didn't even bother to look at them!

Attachments

• Framing 1.jpg
    Framing 1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 527
  • framing2.jpg
    framing2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 521

Soda_fountain. Thanks so much!!! That is exactly what we needed to help us firm up the plans. Drawing up will happen this weekend hopefully. Then, sinking posts will start as soon as the weather allows.

Here are some pics of our deck! My husband and I built all the decks around our pool and jacuzzi. It took all last summer to do it, but it is finally done now! :)

Misc012.jpg

july08002.jpg

DSCF0001-3.jpg

DSCF0004-4.jpg

july08004.jpg

july08011.jpg

wow, nice pix everyone. The last pix on the slope really look nice.

Our pool stands maybe 50' away from the house so the deck is free standing on one end of the pool. This pic is when we just finished building but not staining it a few years back. The deck is a gray composite and the rails are treated lumber, which have since then been stained with a semi transparent hunter green stain to match the one on our house. Our only issue with the whole pool build and deck was - you guessed it - the power pole. But it was either build it there or no pool so we run with it. The climatis plant actually climbs up the pole and it doesn't look to aweful.

Attachments

• 421.jpg
    421.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 469

I've really appreciated all of the pictures you guys have posted for me. I finally found the charger for my camera, so today I took some pictures of our set-up so far. Please excuse the messy back yard!

100_0679.jpg

This is the west side of the backyard. The existing deck off the house is about 5 years old.

100_0680.jpg

Another view of the west side of the house. Here though you can see the garage. Our electrical service panal is in the garage and this then is where we still need to get a dedicated electic line ran out to the pool. My friend who has the "plumber hubby" wanted to run the gas up from our basement then out through the garage here to the pool. He also wanted to charge me $2700 to do that.

100_0681.jpg

Circling around the pool a bit. I am debating about taking down the tree you see in this shot. It seems like such a little tree, it was amazing what a big mess of leaves it made in the pool last fall and again this spring!

100_0682.jpg

continuing to circle around...

100_0683.jpg

This shot is now from the NE corner of the yard. Notice the solar rings hanging from the deck? I bought a solar blanket last week because the rings didn't really live up to my expectations. Kinda sad!

100_0684.jpg

100_0685.jpg

This is now being taken from the SE corner of the back yard. The gas meter is about 30 feet to my left in the picture. That is where the pool installers said the gas line should be trenched from, not up from the basement as "plumber hubby" wanted to do.

100_0686.jpg

Finally, this is a view down to the pool from the existing deck.

The pool is 24' x 48". I'd really love to somehow incorporate the new deck into the old deck and have a multi-level deck (like Beanie's deck above), but I am afraid that would make a project that is way too far out of budget. So instead I am thinking about placing a rectangular deck up against the west side of the pool (more like NWMNmom's deck), and then use some sort of pavers to create a ground level patio area that runs between the housedeck and the pool deck to kind of tie everything together. I am really interested in input from you all though! Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Wow, that is very similar to our situation....kinda freaky. Tree in the same spot, equip pad, distance from the house for us is a little shorter though, but the upper deck section on the house.....LOL

We did attach the new deck to the old. It took forever for hubby to draw up the plans. We ended up downsizing because of price, so the part of the deck that goes around the pool about a little less than 1/4 the way around, and I think it's too small, wish it a different design somehow. The overall deck is huge and took forever for us to stain. I like your idea of the patio connecting the areas.

Here's a shot of mine....
poolandbaseball006.jpg

and looking down from up above
poolandbaseball009.jpg

That is very much what I had in mind, Frustratedpoolmom. I really like your set-up! As things have turned out, yesterday I was posting pictures of my pool-deck-less backyard and now today....

TA-DAH!!! I have a deck!
100_0687.jpg

100_0688.jpg

My husband and I were going to the movies last week and literally saw this deck along the side of the road with a "For Sale" sign on it. I called the phone number on the sign and heard back from the owner this morning (he had been out of town for the long weekend). Turns out the guy is a deck builder and he had just taken this deck off of a house and replaced it for the owner with a new, maintenance free deck. He was now selling her old deck. It is only 4 years old and its 12.5' by 10.5'. So I ended up buying it from him and he already delivered the deck this evening. Now he and his crew are coming back tomorrow to make some modifications to the deck and then install it. They are going to center the deck on the west side of the pool. They will match the middle 4 feet of the open side of the deck with a 4 foot section of railing, then they will install 2 triangle shaped new deck sections, one on each side of the center 4 foot section, to make a that whole open side become curved to match the shape of the pool. They plan to hoist the deck up higher so that it meets the level of the pool. My questionable tree is a goner, but they pointed out to me that the tree is sick (it has funny growths like warts all over its leaves.When all is said and done I should have a new pool deck up and running tomorrow! I'm excited! I will post pics tomorrow of their progress.

BTW, it was really nice having all of your pictures handy. The builder and I used all of them as reference as we planned this small project. Thanks everyone for sharing them so freely!

So wish me luck tomorrow!

/hugs
Leanne

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this is a couple years old, are there updated pictures? Your setup is so similar to ours and I want to do separate pool deck connected by patio also and curious if you implemented that idea. Can you show us, pretty please :) :) ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.