Insect tunnels under liner?

pkovo

May 1, 2018
high bridge, nj
My new pool went in about 5 weeks ago. 24' above ground which replaced a damaged 21' above ground. I noticed today that there are small "ruts" or "canyons" in the pool floor. I believe the installers used mason sand, and they definitely used a tamper to pack it. AT first I thought maybe it was just that the tightly packed sand cracked a bit, but I suspect its more likely that ants are tunneling around under there and the tunnels collapse under the weight of the water.

I only just noticed it yesterday. I was only in the pool once or twice the week it went in, then I was travelling for a couple of weeks and since my return I've been so busy I haven't used it. My wife and kids, and the neighborhood kids are in there daily, but they either never noticed or didn't think it was something worth mentioning.

We do have a lot of ants here. I applied an ant killer to the outside perimeter before adding the landscaping rocks around the pool edge, but it was just something I picked up at Home Depot so maybe not effective? I also put 6 outdoor bait traps equidistant around the edge of the landscaping rock and I noticed today one is definitely seeing some action so I added two more in that general spot. I did not treat the inside area when they installed the pool, but again in the approximately 15 years I had my other pool, I never had an issue.

Of course I'm reading about how ants will eat a bunch of tiny pinholes in the liner and ruin it, something I was completely unaware of in nearly 15 years of owning the previous pool. I called my bug guy, who is awesome and I'm waiting for his callback. I know the stuff he has to treat insects is the real deal, and I want to "nip" this as quickly as possible.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've seen some posts about it but couldn't really find any describing the little crevices I have. The sand under my old pool was softer, more like beach sand, so I don't think I would have ever known if ants were doing this before. And that old liner was incredibly thick. The new one is 25 gauge (swimline I think) and feels nowhere near as sturdy as the old 15 year old Doughboy liner was.

Any insight or shared experiences would be appreciated

Well, my bug guy doesn't think it's insects. He said the ants I have are "field ants" and couldn't/wouldn't tunnel far under the pool and aren't likely to damage the liner either. Anyway, I'm at a loss as to what the deal is. Maybe it is just cracks in the sand layer after all. We had a really hot dry-spell for a few weeks right after the pool was installed. I may try to grab some photos with a go-pro and post them here.

Otherwise, I guess for now I will just use the pool and hope for the best. I'll still treat the ants though just in case.

Interesting. Post some pix if you can.

I will. For now, mother nature is making up for the long hot dry streak we had. We've gotten between 3-4 inches dumped on us since around 6:30. I got home just in time to pump out as the water made it to the top of my skimmer basket.

I did some more researching, and found a very old post on this site where someone had the same issue I am having. They had the liner pulled up and it ended up being worms! Who would think worms would crawl between the liner and the ground!

Never would have thought of that but it makes sense in a way. Amazing. And I have to laugh at "dry spell" - out here they last up to 6 months or more - and a 3 inch rain can happen occasionally in a good year, but often that is about all we get for a whole month in our summer rainy season.

Never would have thought of that but it makes sense in a way. Amazing. And I have to laugh at "dry spell" - out here they last up to 6 months or more - and a 3 inch rain can happen occasionally in a good year, but often that is about all we get for a whole month in our summer rainy season.
Yeah I guess dryspell is all relative huh, haha

here’s a pic of the worst area. It definitely seems that the worst area is in the portion where the new pool covers an area not previously covered bynour old pool. We went from a 21’ to a 24’ and pushed the site back 1.5’, so the back 4.5’ is on ground that wasnt previously covered and thats where the majority of these are. Some sections are fine.

That is strange, maybe get some good overhead pix when the water is still, or just do a sketch map to keep an eye for if they get worse or change over time. I have a few feet of gopher tunnel under one side of my pool below a foam board. My cleaner sometimes gets a wheel hung up in the rut but usually not. Nothing I can do about it so I just ignore it. It will be interesting to see what is under there when the pool eventually needs replacing. Your water looks great! Keep enjoying!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.