66promod

Jun 6, 2022
Leland, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all! Test kit arrived today and here are my current readings - please advise as it’s cloudy and not seeming to get any less cloudy over the last few days.

FC 12
CC 1.5
TC 13.5
TA 40 (green to red)
PH 6.8
CYA 50

Chlorine test kit reading was off the chart - if I had to guess maybe 10-12+

10,000 gallon
Above ground oval
Vinyl
City water
TF100 kit
Sand filter
Bleach

Thank you in advance!
Barry -

Hey Barry,

TA is showing a pretty low result. Did you continue adding drops until there was no
further color change? Don't stop at the first change to red. You can usually get a couple more drops until the color stops changing. Don't count the last drop that resulted in no color change.

Use the powder test for FC. Down the road the comparator block test is great to double check you have chlorine in there. Take today for example. You want a spot check to know you are well above minimum and don't need to dose until tomorrow ? Boom. Crazy yellow. You're fine until tomorrow.

But until you're clear we need the 10+ ability of the powder, and it's accuracy.

We need the FC to come down under 10 or else the PH is invalid. Once it does, we want the PH at 7.2, per pool math. Anything below 6.8 looks like 6.8, and it could be a 5(?). So you add from 6.8 to 7.2, mix for 15 mins and test again. Still low ? Repeat until the PH is readable. But only after the powder FC test says under 10.

Once the pH is 7.2, SLAM Process. (Read and follow to a 'T'). Fire off any questions and we will guide you.

Hey Barry,

TA is showing a pretty low result. Did you continue adding drops until there was no
further color change? Don't stop at the first change to red. You can usually get a couple more drops until the color stops changing. Don't count the last drop that resulted in no color change.
Ahh, no I didn’t. I stopped on the first change to red.

I’ll test that again. Thank you!!

Use the powder test for FC. Down the road the comparator block test is great to double check you have chlorine in there. Take today for example. You want a spot check to know you are well above minimum and don't need to dose until tomorrow ? Boom. Crazy yellow. You're fine until tomorrow.

But until you're clear we need the 10+ ability of the powder, and it's accuracy.

We need the FC to come down under 10 or else the PH is invalid. Once it does, we want the PH at 7.2, per pool math. Anything below 6.8 looks like 6.8, and it could be a 5(?). So you add from 6.8 to 7.2, mix for 15 mins and test again. Still low ? Repeat until the PH is readable. But only after the powder FC test says under 10.

Once the pH is 7.2, SLAM Process. (Read and follow to a 'T'). Fire off any questions and we will guide you.
Hey Barry,

I must have gotten lucky the first time. This retest comes back 40 for TA again - the 5th drop didn’t make it any more red.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Good info, thank you. On this first run I did it both with the comparator and the powder test.

To confirm, I just have to wait for the FC to naturally come down, correct? Then once below 10 I’ll begin reading the PH and follow your remaining directions - am I on the right track?

Thank you very much for the help!

To confirm, I just have to wait for the FC to naturally come down, correct?
Yes. We need the PH adjusted before SLAM and 10+ FC messes up the PH test. Plus, when you test out of range like your 6.8, you may be REALLY out of range. So we want this fixed for 2 reasons as step one.

Then we SLAM. The more you stay at SLAM fc, the quicker it goes. Even if its a miserable battle, it's less miserable than it would have been. 2-3 hour testing is highly reccomended. Do the best you can if life gets in the way a little. You'll brush and vac at least once a day, and clean the filter at 25% PSI rise. We have some time so read up on the SLAM article, process it, read it again, ask away if needed.

Reactions: 66promod
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.