Sep 10, 2019
Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
My sister is struggling to get her pool set up properly and unfortunately since I am CL based, I am a bit clueless on where to start with the SWG. Here are the details:

Test Kit = Taylor K2005
Pool size = 15k gal
SWG = AquaPure 1400 + @80%. Pool runs for 8hrs from 11am to 7pm.
FC = 2
pH = 8
TA = 120
CYA = 60

Her PB installed the SWG turned it on and pretty much left without giving them much info on how to get it tweaked correctly. Right now, she is trying to get her FC up to 7ish and her pH down a bit so that she can determine here FC consumption. Last night about 5pm they turned on the SWG "boost" mode for a few hours right after reading the test results above and added 2 qt of acid (need to confirm strength). This morning, FC = 2 and pH still at 8. She went ahead and tried the FC and pH tests with the Aqua Check strips the PB gave her and they showed FC = 3-4 and pH = 7.8. My first advice was don't use the sticks....

She did say that her FC = 0 a few days ago, so that complicates things. Here is my thought:

1. Buy a DPD FAS.
2. Lower pH to 7.2
3. SLAM since her FC went to 0. I assume she can add liquid chlorine with the SWG, correct?
4. Increase CYA to 70-80
5. Determine FC consumption.
What is the best way to do this? Ensure FC is above 7, measure FC in the morning and then in evening, and simply subtract?
6. Determine pool turnover time based on 15000 gal running VS pump at about 1750 rpm (Jandy default Pool speed for filtration).
7. Use TFP SWG calculator to get SWG %.

Lastly, when should the SWG run? It seems like it would be best to run it over night.

Last edited:
1. Correct
2. correct
3 correct
4. leave CYA where it is and turn off the SWG until she is done with the SLAM using LC
5, 7: Once the SLAM is complete:
Add CYA to 80
Turn SWG to 100% and turn on when her FC reaches 7
run pump and SWG 8 hours whenever
test morning or night just do it the same time every day
if below 7 run pump longer, if above 8 run the pump less

6. pick the best speed to make the SWG work and skim the pool, you are wasting energy for anything else... some are running the pump 24/7 at the lowest level the SWG turns on and just turn the SWG on for 8 hours :)

I hope this helps

1. Correct
2. correct
3 correct
4. leave CYA where it is and turn off the SWG until she is done with the SLAM using LC
5, 7: Once the SLAM is complete:
Add CYA to 80
Turn SWG to 100% and turn on when her FC reaches 7
run pump and SWG 8 hours whenever
test morning or night just do it the same time every day
if below 7 run pump longer, if above 8 run the pump less

6. pick the best speed to make the SWG work and skim the pool, you are wasting energy for anything else... some are running the pump 24/7 at the lowest level the SWG turns on and just turn the SWG on for 8 hours :)

I hope this helps
I am confused about setting SWG to 100%. Why run it wide open? It seems like you are saying only run your pool pump as long as needed with the SWG at 100% to replenish FC then shut off. Doesnt she also need to make sure she turns her pool over at least 1x per day to get adequate mixing and filtration? In my mind it seems like you would want to start with that then calculate SWG % to replenish in that period of time.

Turnover and filtration is a myth, only need to run pump long enough for skimming. With an SWCG then long enough to add the FC lost. Casey was saying 100% because 80% may not be adequate (did not run the numbers in poolmath to check) for the pump runtime. After a few days check FC and tweak output from there.

However, my VSP runs 24/7 on low speed to enable setting the SWGC to a lower value.

EDIT: Or if you are slamming and need to clear the pool then run the pump longer to filter out the dead algea.

Reactions: cowboycasey
I am confused about setting SWG to 100%. Why run it wide open? It seems like you are saying only run your pool pump as long as needed with the SWG at 100% to replenish FC then shut off. Doesnt she also need to make sure she turns her pool over at least 1x per day to get adequate mixing and filtration? In my mind it seems like you would want to start with that then calculate SWG % to replenish in that period of time.
Basically those are 2 different things :)

The myth of turning over your water 1 to 3 times a day was started way back when and pool stores still blab it all over the place... If you could number every water molecule in your pool, we will say 1 million, there are some molecules that have never made it to the filter and some have been through the filter 20 times a day, you will never know...

1. adequate mixing is 30 minutes of run time..
2. Filtering is a function of how long you run your pump to get/keep the pool clean for your liking.. Some people run there pump and filter 1 hour a day to accomplish both filtering and mixing of chemicals, some run 24/7, some run 12.. it is all about how clean you want the water...
3. I say 100% because that is the shortest time to get the chlorine you need and shut it off, makes it easy... You could figure it out and run it at 50% by adding however many hours it takes to get the required FC at 100% but then your just adding expense by running the SWG longer and powering that whole time... You are using the same amount of hours on the cell.. 100% for 8 hours or 50% for 16 hours is exactly the same in SWG hours.. The good thing about longer hours is you get the same amount of chlorine over an extended amount of time...

I run my pool 8 hours a day for my SWG and that is it, if we swim I will start the pump just before getting in the pool to get the couple bugs and move the water around... In the spring and fall I run during the day to warm the water, about 5 hours a day and during the summer I run at night to cool the water :)

Most balanced pools consume 2-4 ppm of FC daily during summer months. After the SLAM, a good starting point is to allow FC to drift down to the target level, then set up the SWG to run long enough to produce 3 ppm of FC. Her SWG should raise FC by 0.4 ppm for each hour run at 100%. Running for 7.5 hours will raise FC by 3 ppm. Test FC daily and adjust SWG output up/down to match daily FC loss.

Basically those are 2 different things :)

The myth of turning over your water 1 to 3 times a day was started way back when and pool stores still blab it all over the place... If you could number every water molecule in your pool, we will say 1 million, there are some molecules that have never made it to the filter and some have been through the filter 20 times a day, you will never know...

1. adequate mixing is 30 minutes of run time..
2. Filtering is a function of how long you run your pump to get/keep the pool clean for your liking.. Some people run there pump and filter 1 hour a day to accomplish both filtering and mixing of chemicals, some run 24/7, some run 12.. it is all about how clean you want the water...
3. I say 100% because that is the shortest time to get the chlorine you need and shut it off, makes it easy... You could figure it out and run it at 50% by adding however many hours it takes to get the required FC at 100% but then your just adding expense by running the SWG longer and powering that whole time... You are using the same amount of hours on the cell.. 100% for 8 hours or 50% for 16 hours is exactly the same in SWG hours.. The good thing about longer hours is you get the same amount of chlorine over an extended amount of time...

I run my pool 8 hours a day for my SWG and that is it, if we swim I will start the pump just before getting in the pool to get the couple bugs and move the water around... In the spring and fall I run during the day to warm the water, about 5 hours a day and during the summer I run at night to cool the water :)
Ok. Now what you said makes sense. I think I got it...now I just gotta get her through the SLAM via phone. :)

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.