Initial salt concentration higher than I expected, please advise...

Oscar G.

Gold Supporter
Hi guys,

I'm converting to SWG and getting ready to add salt to the pool. I used the K-1766 test and got a reading of 1000 ppm which is higher that I expected. The pool is relatively new and the initial fill was on July 11 of this year. I used Trichlor tabs for the first 3 or 4 days before seeing the light, lol, and then switched to 10% sodium hypochlorite. According to pool math and my estimate of 4.5 ppm average daily usage of chlorine, I would be around 570 ppm salt.

Is there something I'm missing? Thanks for your help!

The testing error is around 200-400 depending on the user. That is why we recommend to add by 1/2 of what pool math says, test and repeat. I usually stop when the cell light goes green and its producing sometimes is around 2,800- 3,000. Just add enough to make the cell happy.

Your fill water and/or top water will have salt in it in the form of total dissolved solids or TDS. That plus the residual salt from the bleach and acid plus the error factor will put you at around 1000ppm. So your K1766 is very close. As mentioned before its more important to keep your chlorinator happy rather than you test results so add your salt slowly until the chlorinator is happy with the level in the pool.

The testing error is around 200-400 depending on the user. That is why we recommend to add by 1/2 of what pool math says, test and repeat. I usually stop when the cell light goes green and its producing sometimes is around 2,800- 3,000. Just add enough to make the cell happy.
Ok, I added half for now and will test and add as needed. Thank you!

Your fill water and/or top water will have salt in it in the form of total dissolved solids or TDS. That plus the residual salt from the bleach and acid plus the error factor will put you at around 1000ppm. So your K1766 is very close. As mentioned before its more important to keep your chlorinator happy rather than you test results so add your salt slowly until the chlorinator is happy with the level in the pool.
That is what I'll do, thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think a 40lb bag in your pool should yield approximately 395ppm salt. After you drop in the initial salt retest in 24 hours to see where the salt is at. Then again don't put in the rest but only half and retest so you dont over shoot.
Yes, its about 400ppm in my pool per 40lb bag per pool math. I tested with the k-1766 after each addition and the results showed exactly that! Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.