Inground Vinyl Pool Lost Most of it's Water Over The Winter

SeanH

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2008
South Jersey
Looking for some advice here.

I have a 26,000 gallon in ground vinyl liner pool. I'm located in NJ. I closed the pool in September and lowered the water just below the skimmers. I noticed in the last snow/ice storm we had a little while back that my solid cover was sagging way more than I've ever seen. Everything was frozen so the cover pump couldn't do anything. Once it warmed up some I got all the snow/ice off the cover.

Today I decided to take a look under the cover and the water level is now well below the 3' shallow end into the 9' deep end.

The liner is 4 or 5 years old.

I'm planing on removing the cover this weekend to check out the damages. My plan is to try to find the leak. It could only be the liner or the main drain which was plugged when I had the new liner put in. There are no other fixtures or fittings anywhere near the current water level.

It's still around 50 deg F in this area. Do I try to fill it back up if the liner has not come out of the channel? I've got liner lock all the way around so it's probably not out of the channel, but I won't know for sure until I get the cover off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated I hate the though of the liner being wrecked since it's not that old.

Thanks in advance!

Sean

Sorry for the lack of responses.

Generally we recommend keeping at least a foot of water in the shallow end of a vinyl pool so the liner does not shift. I would suggesting adding at least that much water and then monitor it and see if it rather quickly drops to a certain level (which would help ID the possible leak location).

Sorry for the lack of responses.

Generally we recommend keeping at least a foot of water in the shallow end of a vinyl pool so the liner does not shift. I would suggesting adding at least that much water and then monitor it and see if it rather quickly drops to a certain level (which would help ID the possible leak location).

Thanks Jason. That's my plan this weekend. Unfortunately we've had non stop rain for the past day. Hopefully it clears up by tomorrow so I can get the cover off.

Sean

Looking for some advice here.

I have a 26,000 gallon in ground vinyl liner pool. I'm located in NJ. I closed the pool in September and lowered the water just below the skimmers. I noticed in the last snow/ice storm we had a little while back that my solid cover was sagging way more than I've ever seen. Everything was frozen so the cover pump couldn't do anything. Once it warmed up some I got all the snow/ice off the cover.

Today I decided to take a look under the cover and the water level is now well below the 3' shallow end into the 9' deep end.

The liner is 4 or 5 years old.

I'm planing on removing the cover this weekend to check out the damages. My plan is to try to find the leak. It could only be the liner or the main drain which was plugged when I had the new liner put in. There are no other fixtures or fittings anywhere near the current water level.

It's still around 50 deg F in this area. Do I try to fill it back up if the liner has not come out of the channel? I've got liner lock all the way around so it's probably not out of the channel, but I won't know for sure until I get the cover off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated I hate the though of the liner being wrecked since it's not that old.

Thanks in advance!

Sean

I know how you feel we went through 4 liners in 10 years but our problems were mostly branches from our neighbors trees going thru the winter covers and putting holes in the liner except the one year we had a seam in the liner split. If nothing went thru your cover and something didn't fall into your pool that's what I would look at. Take a measurement from the top of the pool to the water line give it a day or two and see if your still losing water, if your not I would take a good look at the seams (mine was hard to see). Just keep in mind that without the pressure of the water against the walls they can collapse don't let it go too long. Good luck

It doesn't look good. The shallow end seems pretty brittle.

I've got a few hoses in now to fill it. I've got one with warmer water in the shallow end.

I guess all I can do now is wait.

Attachments

• IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 68
Started filling it, but it's so discolored, shrunken and has so many wrinkles in it we decided to replace it. Turns out I got this liner 7 years ago. I've had problem with it since I got it. The pool is not perfectly symertrical and the installer only measured the corners on one side. I really hadn't planned on it, but I think its probably the best option at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.