norbie

Aug 21, 2007
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,
I just got a quote for a vinyl liner replacement for my 16 x 32 (with steps) inground pool and I have a few questions if I could.
1st question is has anyone heard of or can comment on the manufacturer Vinyl Works and the Legacy Edition Pools Geometric Pattern Liner?
2nd question is which liner would you recommend 20/27 or 27/27 mil?
3rd question is Is there any advantage to replacing the liner at either the beginning or end of the season?

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Most liner installers in Tennessee use Latham Liners (which is what I bought last year) or Tara Liners. One of the pool stores also got me in touch with Loop-Loc which seemed like they had a good quality but quoted $2,000 higher than others. I asked some of the installers why they didn't offer any other brands than Latham and Tara, some of them told me that they don't recommend any other brands because the quality is on a lower level. Take their opinion with a grain of salt ...

Logic seems like a thicker liner at 27 mil would seem more durable but I have heard that there is no difference in durability and the thicker mil can actually be less elastic in the second half of the liner's life.

End of the summer and early fall is a great time to replace your liner. The ground in your tap water in MA will be much warmer than in spring which will help elasticity when installing a new liner. Also, this time of year give you a lot more flexibility and installers should not be as busy as compared to beginning of the pool season.

All my comments above are based on my experience of replacing my liner Last Summer so maybe others have different opinions.

Reactions: norbie
Most liner installers in Tennessee use Latham Liners (which is what I bought last year) or Tara Liners. One of the pool stores also got me in touch with Loop-Loc which seemed like they had a good quality but quoted $2,000 higher than others. I asked some of the installers why they didn't offer any other brands than Latham and Tara, some of them told me that they don't recommend any other brands because the quality is on a lower level. Take their opinion with a grain of salt ...

Logic seems like a thicker liner at 27 mil would seem more durable but I have heard that there is no difference in durability and the thicker mil can actually be less elastic in the second half of the liner's life.

End of the summer and early fall is a great time to replace your liner. The ground in your tap water in MA will be much warmer than in spring which will help elasticity when installing a new liner. Also, this time of year give you a lot more flexibility and installers should not be as busy as compared to beginning of the pool season.

All my comments above are based on my experience of replacing my liner Last Summer so maybe others have different opinions.

I just got my liner replaced in my 14x30 in-ground. The first installer used Tara liners, but after doing the measurements and quote, he just quit returning calls. The second installer used only PlastiMayd (A Latham product) and so that's what I ended up going with. Both said that they recommended 27 mil only in colder climates due to its greater strength in extreme temperatures. Since you're in Massachussetts, I think that's YOU ;-)

For mine in central Texas, they said to go with 20 mil. Personally I thought Tara had a better selection of liners that I liked. I had to compromise a little to choose a liner from the Latham lineup, but on the plus side they delivered in a little over a week and the installer just finished up today.

If you're willing to share, I'd be interested to hear what your quote was, since our pools are similar sizes. Mine had fiberglass steps so no liner on that, but it came in at $3,200 materials and labor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.