Inground pool poses huge safety concern

I have to say that is indeed a small shallow end. We also have an "L" but with a larger shallow end. With a that being said, I have to kind of agree with linen. My children swim like fish in the deep end of our one year old pool. About 14 months ago I couldn't trust my then 6 year old son in deep, water without a floatation device. We've had the pool finished for 1year now and he is a fish. Of course they are never unsupervised and my concerns now are limiting stupid childish horseplay that can lead to accidents. They will be good swimmers before you know it. Mine make a game of being first to swim to the bottom of the deep end to retrieve the thermometer. They enjoy the depth ( 8 ft for us)...they are now 7 and 9.

Just get lots and lots of noodles. At less than $2 each they are handy to throw at a child that is a good swimmer but might look fatigued. I still do that sometimes to my 7 year old son and then I order him to the shallow end to take a break.

Like others have said, don't worry too much about it, even your youngest will likely be swimming like a fish before long. Let me share a story with you that I have heard many times even though I was not there about my son who was exposed to having a backyard pool by around age 2, by age 3 he was fairly comfortable in the water and by age 4 he would jump into the deep end swim all around the pool. Just before he turned 5 he went on a trip to Disney World with his grandparents, the first night there at the hotel they were going to the pool, and being a kid he ran ahead of them and jumped into the deep end of the pool at full run. From the way I hear it about 20 people started to get up to jump in to "save" him, he of course popped up and swam to the ladder in order to climb out and jump in again.

Ike

What are your shallow end dimensions. My 16' x 32' is 1/3 shallow end then gradually drops to 5.75'. Trust the other pool owners here on how the kids will adapt.

Additional info: my kids grew up with neighbor's AGP next door 30' round at least 42" maybe 47" deep. My youngest wore a kids ski vest after he outgrew a basic swim vest. Lessons every summer and he grew. Eventually he swam like a fish. Until then ski vest - more useful when swimming than life jackets.

I saw a platform at the local pool where they teach swimming classes (cement pool)
It was in the shallow end, pic attached - I thought of building one.....did not want to risk damaging the liner
The problem I see is you do NOT want to damage the vinyl liner, AND you are talking about a tower 10' tall to reach the bottom

Our shallow end is 8' x the 16' width of the pool, my son has always wanted to go into the deep end
We have the float rope that goes across to separate the shallow & deep end
He always had a life vest on, swimmies etc & we kept lots of noodles & floats in the pool
We bought a little float board for him & an inflatable support - 2 small sharks & a support are in between
At age 4 my wife signed him up for a swim class, that seemed to help

Once they can touch bottom its much better
But in most pools they will never be able to touch bottom in the deep end - I can't in our pool
So the only real "solution" is to teach them to swim

Attachments

• DSCF6677.JPG
    DSCF6677.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 232
Please don't let your concerns sour your attitude towards your pool. You have a great pool and as long as your kids don't know you're really worried about that deep end, your kids will have a blast in it as soon as they can swim.

Perhaps it's a California thing, but most people i know have pools with deep ends, so we aren't used to flat bottoms, and that's ok. We also teach our kids really young. Just like Isaac-1, I have had parents flip out because i'm on vacation sitting on the side of the pool while my 3 year old is in the water. Truth be told, i don't go in water below about 80! My biggest concern I see in the pictures of your pool is how you're going to filter it, and how you're going to heat it! Brrrr....

When you order the liner to get it customized so your guest can see there is a sharp drop and not a slope into the deep end. My other thought would be to "wall off" the shallow end of the pool so you have a pool inside a pool. Find someone who remodels pools in your area and see if this is a feasible solution for you. You can add ladders to the deep ends.

I agree with the general sentiment that supervision, proper floatation devices and experience will quickly lead to lots of fun, regardless of depth. Building strong swimmers who are aware of their own limits is your best defense. If you do pursue some form of barrier between the shallow and deep ends, just make sure that the openings are small enough that arms and legs can't get stuck. In many cases a plain old blue and white bobber line may do the trick, clearly denoting the change from shallow to deep and giving a tired or panicked swimmer something easy to grab onto

And at the risk of the old lifeguard in me coming out (10 years of commercial pool management heck starting in the mid-1980s), the home made bench pictured above in DIYLiner's post, while a great idea, does present its own safety hazard, as a person could slip underneath and not be seen from above or - worse - get stuck. Any platforms used in a pool should have a solid base that goes straight to the bottom on all sides so that no one can slip under OR have decking that is constructed so that a body underneath can be readily seen. (The former is definitely more desirable than the latter, IMHO.) Same reason you shouldn't swim if you can't see the main drains: all swimmers should be visible from the deck at all times, even in a home pool Additionally, make sure there are no fasteners sticking out that could snag a bathing suit or cut a finger. Apologies for being overly cautious, but I saw a lot of really poorly designed equipment in my guarding days, and witnessed some injuries resulting from it. Home pools carry many of the risks of commercial pools.

Lots of great ideas and of couldn't agree more with safety percautions and supervision. I thought the platforms are really great but they only elevate for a foot or two in shallow ends. Homemade would be very expensive.

Update though! Our pool guy is talking to another contractor to price out how much it would be to extend the shallow end to go straight across (under the pool slide). Then we'd still net off the deep end but it would make us alot more comfortable. I'm also looking into those lane dividers you see at swim clubs with that float. Great for resting on in the deep end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where are your main drain(s) on this pool? That may or may not play a part in what you decide to do as well.

12 feet is deep. I basicly grew up in my neighbors gunnite kedney shaped pool that had a 10' deep end. I remember that diving down to 10' to "hang out" and retreive stuff would cause our ears to hurt after a number of dives.

-dave

If it were my pool I would take out the old liner, have the pool partially filled in raising the bottom of the pool up to a comfortable depth and then have the bottom resurfaced and add the new liner. It will cost more money but in the long run it would be so worth it. I can't even imagine having to vacuum that pool the way it is right now. I would have pool shallow on the ends (3.5-4') and deeper in the center (6-7'). Would make a great volleyball pool! That is one heck of a drop off!

The depth would not bother me. It has an advantage when it comes to diving and as far as the kids go, regardless of the depth, you must drown proof them. You must find someone who can teach your kids, even the newborn how to be safe in the water. As for vacuuming I don't see the depth as a problem as much as the square feet. I would definitely want an automatic cleaner.

Can you not install a floating floor? I have saw them installed in old cement pools that are deep ended to bring them above the 1.5m depth, in order to negate the requirement for a lifeguard in some commercial pools.

But seriously as some have already stated, your children will learn quicker to swim by retaining the design you have, subcontiously children (and adults) have a natural yearning to achieve their 'licence' to swim where they are not allowed. I did Swimming Teaching, Lifeguard, Lifesaver & Swim Club coaching for some time, and there is no greater incentive than having to accomplish for example 2 minutes treading water in order to be deep end certified.

If you do consider raising the pool depth, check with your insurance company and slide specs. I dont think you can do a slide in the shallow end, but have not checked. No slide here yet!

What is the size of the shallow end? It looks small in the pics, but the pool is huge. Mine is 20x16 in a 20x50 pool and 20+ people can be in the pool with no issue.

Everyone here is just really really helpful. Thank you very much for the ideas. We did end up not changing the pool and we're just going to net off the shallow end. The pools new liner has been put in and five truck loads of pool water have already been dropped off. We're getting the sixth and last tomorrow.....ouch$$. When we looked at the work done I was a bit shocked at a bubbled up liner on the stairs?? Is this normal??

Attachments

• 014 (640x480).jpg
    014 (640x480).jpg
    294 KB · Views: 110

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.