information about pump when inlet hose going over pool wall.

Hi, I purchased my pool at Island recreational (local to Long Island, NY) & it has a proprietory skimmer that was, actually, attached to the canister that held the cartridge. Yes, the cartridge was suspended in the canister; not on the ground. (I'd take pix but neither my phone nor my camera are working right now.) Over the years, the canister leaked and can't be repaired anymore. So, I've been trying to filter by placing my inlet hose over the pool wall, the way above ground pool hoses used to be placed before there were in-wall skimmers. Unfortunately, my Intex 3/4 hp pump (which is attached to a sand canister) will not hold a prime with this setup. Would a pump with more horsepower prime and hold a prime with this setup? Would a self-priming pump work?

I'm planning to scrap the whole intex filtering system after this season because I had limited time and wanted to get a pool repair service to work on my pump & filter. No one in my area will work on an Intex system, primarily because Intex does not make replacement parts available to pool stores or pool repair services. I've gotten very little pleasure out of the pool this summer because I've spend to much time working on the filtering system.

I"m not replacing my skimmer at this point because the pool wall that holds it is rusted &, this late in the season, I don't want to try to attach a new skimmer to a rusted wall. I'm just trying to get through to the end of the season. Sadly, next year, I may need to replace the pool.

Does the pump loose prime when you shut the pool off? Or does the pump run dry while running? Either issue would indicate an air leak in the suction hose. Assuming the end of the suction hose is deep enough that it never comes out of the water, it could be a small hole in the hose or a clamp that isn't tight. This would allow air in the suction side. A leaky pump lid oring could be an issue also. Using oring lube can help.

I'm wondering if a 3/4 hp pump has the power to prime at all with a hose going over the side of the pool.

Yes, a 3/4hp pump has plenty of power. Above ground pumps are not really made to self prime. They are designed to pump once the suction pipe is full of water. I would take a garden hose or bucket and full the suction hose all the way and then start the pump. Once the line is full, that pump should easily be able to move the water.
If the pump looses suction, check for air leaks on the suction side.

Hi. Unfortunately, tried filling the inlet/suction hose with my garden hose several times. As soon as I pull the garden house out of the inlet hose and let the inlet hose drop down in the water again, the pump loses suction. I know that most above ground pumps are meant to be below the inlet hose but, since my skimmer developed a leak that cannot be repaired, the only way I can get an inlet hose in the pool is to have it go from the pump over the wall into the pool. I have to tie it down with a bottle to keep it below the water. My concern is that my pump cannot seem to suck in the water when the hose is in the pool. My pool wall is rusted - last time I had the liner replaced, the pool repair service sprayed it with tons of rustoleum and told me it might last a couple of years. It has lasted five years so I"m reluctant to replace my skimmer now this late in the season. If that wall is rusted, my pool time will be done for this season and I"m not keen on that. I'd like to know if any self priming pump will solve my problem or if I should just give up filtering for this season. There are no holes in any of my hoses.

There is either something going on with your pump or you're breaking prime before it is under the water. I've used a puny little Summer Escapes cartridge filter over the rail perfectly fine in times of past.

See:
in_n_out_hokey.jpg

sumer_escapes_bungee.jpg

It worked when on the ground too, but this was how we ended up just to get it out of the way (not able to be kicked over/dislodged). All we had to do was prime the pump with water and it pumped away.

The previous suggestions of some kind of air leak on the suction side are something to look for. The pump may be kaput as well. It's hard to say, but normally these sand filter pump combos work without any need to prime other than let the water flow in, and if you fill the tube with water, put your hand over the inlet to keep the prime, put it into the pool (still covered - think of how to hold water in a straw with your finger tip) and it's good.

How old is your pump/filter combo? Can you keep the garden hose in the inlet as you lower it into the water instead of pulling it out as you lower it in? Any break in the fill of the inlet hose will allow the pump to lose prime so you kinda have to be quick with either keeping your hand over the inlet till it's under water or do something else to maintain that prime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.