Info on Leslie's version of DE4800

PatrickH

Gold Supporter
Jun 22, 2017
Katy, TX
I've recently taken over my elderly grandparents pool, and it's been fun! (kinda)

They have every single piece of paperwork that they've gotten in their entire lives, except for the DE Filter. I have the records on the original filter from way back in 1984, but nothing on this Leslie replacement.

I'm trying to get a rough idea of when this thing may have been sold in the stores. All my digging seems to indicate that the "new" DE4820 came out sometime after 2007, but Hayward and Leslie's love clearing almost all of that old info off the internet. Seeing how this is a DE4800 replacement, I can only assume it's at least that old if not older. Searching through this amazing place, I've managed to come across several posts relating to that model number in that early 2000s timeframe. I've even gone as far as calling several Leslie's asking if anyone remembers these units. They've all claimed they have no clue what I'm talking about. Even info on when Hayward stopped selling the tops to these things would be more info than I have now. The most I can find are updated product listings for the haywood catalog in 2011 showing the parts for this model mostly obsolete.

If anyone had or has one of these, would you be so kind to give me a rough date (year is fine) that it was purchased or installed?

The goal here is just to see how long the filter actually lasted. Just to see if I'd even consider going the "aftermarket" route again. Also, I'd like just like to know for curiosities sake. It's pretty much shot. Leaks coming out of every which angle, and a crack on the inner wall. Hardly will hold pressure anymore. So it's gonna be replaced, but doing some due diligence before going ahead with that.

I've got relevant pics attached.

Leslie's Model Number: DE LE 42054
Hayward Model: DE4800

Thanks for any help :)

Attachments

• 2017-06-22 18.38.28.jpg
    2017-06-22 18.38.28.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2017-06-22 18.38.27.jpg
    2017-06-22 18.38.27.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 20
To be honest, it's really not "aftermarket", it's private labeled. I doubt there was anything different between that filter and a stock Hayward of the same generation.

PM Hayward Pool a he is a factory rep who answers questions here for their products.

Can you post a picture of the whole filter?

It's dark out, so I can't get a great picture of it. However, of the 3 I found on google this is the smaller version, but looks identical
9f6069b5d78140e3b22b80dc27fa8c38.jpg

To be honest, it's really not "aftermarket", it's private labeled. I doubt there was anything different between that filter and a stock Hayward of the same generation.

PM Hayward Pool a he is a factory rep who answers questions here for their products.

I couldn't figure out the right word for it, it's certainly not aftermarket or "cheap plastic junk". All the spec sheets I found online have the model as "HAYWARD MICRO-CLEAR D.E." and under it "ALSO LESLIE’S CRYSTAL CLEAR II"

Thanks for the tip, I may also try calling them tomorrow just to see.

It was made before March 31, 2009. Hard to tell for sure without the serial number, which has worn off.

It's a Hayward filter, just private label. The original filter is the Hayward Micro Clear D.E.

It was made before March 31, 2009. Hard to tell for sure without the serial number, which has worn off.

It's a Hayward filter, just private label.

That at least gives me a timeframe.

First thing I checked for was the Serial Number. I was able to determine the manufacture date of my super pump using their tags. Do you happen to know if Hayward sticks those tags inside the tank (doubtful as it'd probably wear off quicker than outside)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.