Infinity Edge Basin Pump

AJB1234

Gold Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Newport Beach, CA
Hi TFP,

Does anyone understand why when I change my Infinity spill edge VS pump from low to high that the water level becomes much lower in the basin? I don't have an overfill drain (I do have auto fill). If the infinity pool is already full of water, where is that water going in the basin that makes the level lower?

The pool level is in fact getting a bit higher. The amount of water going over your infinity edge is roughly proportional to the thickness of the layer of water going over the edge so when you crank up the pump speed to push more water over the pool level has to get higher. Since the surface area of the pool is much larger than the surface area in your catch basin, a small change in the pool level equates to a big change in the basin.

The pool level is in fact getting a bit higher. The amount of water going over your infinity edge is roughly proportional to the thickness of the layer of water going over the edge so when you crank up the pump speed to push more water over the pool level has to get higher. Since the surface area of the pool is much larger than the surface area in your catch basin, a small change in the pool level equates to a big change in the basin.
Oh wow, never would have guessed that in a million years. Thanks for helping me understand.

What's interesting is the spill edge pump now is back to low speed for the last 30 minutes and the basin is still low (but higher than when the pump was on high)

Last edited:
I want to follow up with you in this. The pump speed was set lower but still higher than normal which is why the level in the trough was a little bit higher than normal. I lowered the pump speed to the normal low speed level and the trough level lowered to the normal level. Sounds like the advice here is spot on (as usual). Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.