Infested by crows!

mizzamouse

Silver Supporter
Jul 10, 2017
Woburn/MA
I came outside this morning and saw what looked like bird poop around the perimeter of the pool. There was about one “dropping” every 2-3” literally around the entire pool. No biggie, I took the hose and cleaned it up. Come back a couple hours later and the pattern started again! This time, I caught a crow with something in his mouth and he placed it on the edge. This thing he placed looked like poop. Here is an image. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UEQ8COP5xFMy2BVfF-oeYKwTCoRK5l6e

I’m sitting here watching the crow work and continue to bring these along the edge! What is going on!?! Any thoughts?

Can’t see pic, says I need to request access.

But I found this on birdforum.net:

I suspect that your bird is carrying and leaving faecal sacs. These are a special type of dropping produced by fledglings in the nest which are carried away by the parents to ensure the nest stays clean. All perching birds do this, and I guess that is what your quote refers to. It will only go on until the fledglings have left the nest. The time to fledge varies from species to species but is of the order of two weeks. (Googling shows that the different grackle species seem to be in the range 10-14 days) So the problem should go away, for a year at least, very soon, I hope.

Kelly is right. Its a fecal sac from the babies.

The parent birds takes these from the nest to keep it clean.

I dont know about crows, or other bids....

But I have a blue bird house in my yard which have nesters and did some research on the pretty lil things. The bluebirds take the sac away, wash it, and then bring it back and feed it to the sitting parent.
Waste not, want not, I suppose ! Yuk!

Thanks! I just fixed the link so it should work now.

Thanks for the quote from the bird forum! I guess my pool has been chosen as the dumping ground!!

Ours has been chosen too and it drives me nuts! That and also the "Roman bath" when even a tiny bit of water is in the pool cover! It has been going on (literally) on my pool for several years. Last year we took the cover off early and then accidently clogged the deep drain when too many seedlings fell in the water. I don't know which is worse - cleaning the winter cover of all that poop, or cleaning the top rails and fishing out the early droppings from the trees and the poop that lands in the water. :brickwall:

I'm dealing with the same problem here at the moment. Loads of birdpoop in the pool every day. I am vacuuming and netting daily and barely keeping up. The coping and especially the spa spillover area is layered as well. It's like a perfect access points for the grackles to reach the spa water to bathe and drink.
I bought a couple of rubber snakes but those have been completely worthless. They're covered in poop now too :mad:

Same grackle problem here.... it’s truly horrible! Sacks of poop everywhere!!

The old owners of this property had flashy wind spinners around. I never knew why, but I’m beginning to suspect.....

Anyone have success with these reflective spinners keeping birds away??

We had the same problem here just recently. At least it’s temporary. After two weeks of daily bird poop cleaning it stopped just as suddenly as it started. Now there is just the occasional dropping on the spa spillover where they they like to take a drink, but the mess all over the pool is over. That lasted 2 weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.